Anti Sway Control

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
Argonaut

Anti Sway Control

Post by Argonaut » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 pm

We went to the Rosehill Caravan and Camping Show today looking for information on Alko ESC and Dexter. As we are about to take the van to the Kimberley and my husband is having some back problems I realise I will have to share the driving. We have a Prado and a 19' van. I thought I would have peace of mind if we had an electric anti sway control added but when we sat in on a talk about towing a caravan, the speaker said that a Hayman Reece anti sway bar would be better than the electric alternatives. We already have a Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch but would need to get the new one to go with the anti sway bar. It would still be half the cost of the electric alternatives. I know this will probably stir up a hornet's nest of opinions but would like to hear what people think.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Linda and John[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2007 Auto Diesel Prado
2009 Lotus Uptown[/font]

Engel

Re: Anti Sway Control

Post by Engel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 pm

From my knowledge the HR antisway and the ESC perform two different things. The HR is friction device that is there to reduce the small amount of sway from Semi's overtaking the ESC are for use when all else fails and the sway is serious as it puts the caravan brakes on to pull the rig straight.
I only have the ESC.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Linda, Engel is correct.

Both AL-KO and Dexter use the principle of detecting G forces or sideways movement in the caravan. It could be a single large movement to avoid an obstacle of several small movements indicating the beginning of uncontrollable sway. The van brakes are applied to stretch and pull the rig straight. Of course the driver could do the same thing with the brake manual override, if acting quickly enough. So ESC is a reactive process after an issue has developed - like a parachute or fire extinguisher.

Anti-sway is a proactive process intended to prevent swaying from beginning or at least minimise its effect. It is a simple mechanical device that makes it harder for any angle to develop between the tug and the van. Imagine a semi-trailer where the prime mover has a turntable that carries the trailer. If you fit a braking system to that turntable rotation the rig cannot jack-knife.

I s'pose the best option would be both anti-sway and ESC. I have neither :roll:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Argonaut

Post by Argonaut » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Thank you Engel and Old Techo for your comments. We are thinking of going ahead with the Dexter.
2009 Lotus Uptown[/font]

MikeL

Post by MikeL » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Argonaut,

Below is an earlier post on this subject that might help as well

http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19799
Regards,

MikeL

2011 Pajero GLS 3.2L
Regent "Clare" 17'6" single axle van.

Argonaut

Post by Argonaut » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks, read it. Lots to think about.
2009 Lotus Uptown[/font]

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Mon May 01, 2017 12:05 am

Argonaut wrote: I thought I would have peace of mind if we had an electric anti sway control added but when we sat in on a talk about towing a caravan, the speaker said that a Hayman Reece anti sway bar would be better than the electric alternatives.
Who did the presentation that persuaded you to go for the HR anti sway device was the way to go? By chance was it a HR presentation? Be ware of those with an axe to grind. They will do as much as they can to misrepresent the situation short of saying something that could be considered liable. Without telling us the full story we can not give you any sound advice.

I take it he was referring to friction anti-sway devices or the twin cam. These are supposed to stop you getting into trouble. They are not 100% in their action. The Dexter and Al-Ko models are there to get you out of trouble when you get into violent yawing situations. Friction anti-sway will not do that.

Al-Ko also make a friction anti-sway hitch. They also make the ESC. That must give you a clue as to whether you should fit the ESC. You will note that British and European vans are now fitted with both.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

loub

Post by loub » Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 am

Towed a 1977 tandum axle vicount van around oz for 3.5 years with the dual cam HR added too the ride levelers .Where spot on ,never a nasty situation developed. This was in the 80s and by the knowledge I have gained now, that van was poorly loaded and over weight to buggery.I only use a single sway cam on my current van and that is only for peice of mind as the current van is well balanced and Tows beautiful .Peter :razz:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Mon May 01, 2017 11:53 am

loub wrote: I only use a single sway cam on my current van
What is a single cam? I'm not familiar with them.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

loub

Post by loub » Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Peter D It attaches to a small towball welded to the hitch head and a small towball attached to the side of the a frame .The actual working unit is attached to these points and works by applying friction between the surface of the units if the van tries to move side ways when going forward.You turn a lever to apply more friction.
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Return to “Product Info sought”