Winegard again

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
dieseltojo

Winegard again

Post by dieseltojo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:21 pm

On the winegard

I have a genuine Winegard Tv antenna self-installed. Then I added the wingman add on, it’s still horizontal polarization but does help increase the UHF gain a bit, made by Winegard, and then I added the "WinSig V 2.2", and I thought I had gone as far as I could go.
Then some smart arse invented the new Winegard Horizontal and vertical Winegard. Winegard Freevision HV.
So how is it in comparison to my triple banger with the mod cons? I know we are expecting miracles here but with all the ad-on’s is the new Wingard better?

So what brings this on, and all the smart arse Sat Nav folks please just go awaaay…. is that the new “Winegard Freevision HV.” Is on sale at a remarkable $230-00 from a certain place I know of right now. I see them on the internet at 255-00 delivered etc. but this is down the road in Dandenong Vic for $230-00 and that’s not too bad.
But is it worth the money?
I know I just did 7 weeks up to Rocky through Dolby etc. and had little problems. The worst reception was in a small seaside town in Patonga around 60 klm North from Sydney. Virtually closed in sea side town. I suspect a local had a high pressure signal device interfering with things, as we had a good sig one day and crap the next. Who knows who is using what!
So is it worth going to the new Wingard Freevision or not …..That is the question.
I mean, I ‘m happy with the existing and they say the new Wingard Freevision has addressed the horizontal issues to equal the WinSig add on. But the only way I can tell is from others……
The thing with testing an Arial is not as simple as to say “I got a good signal here etc. you have had to be in the same place and see an improvement.
And even then my sample of this place Patonga makes me a liar. One day great, the next day crap. And in the same spot??
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

TramcarTrev

Re: Winegard again

Post by TramcarTrev » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Are you talking about the antenna that looks like two bow ties?? phased loop array???
If yes then we can press on. In theory that should be the penultimate antenna but in reality is it worth the extra I think is what you are asking.
My mate has one on his van, I have the old type with wingman. The bowties require you to be in a straight line with the transmitter, the Wingman lets you have a little leeway...
Worth the extra? Not in my opinion we have both been parked beside each other and the wingman seems to get a stronger input...
Yet in theory the phased loop array should be better....The advantage is that you will pick up both horizontally and vertically polarised signals.

I tried to get a comparison with my signal meter but both the actual readings are inconclusive.
Then again if you are in an area where the locals have very tall masts with long Yagi (lots of elements) style antennas then you may as well forget TV and get out the ludo, snakes and ladders or Uno...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi DT,
This is my opinion of the “Winegard old with the Winegard add on and the WinSig add on” compared to the new “butterfly Winegard”.

At this stage I do not have the new butterfly Winegart but once I get this awning update worked out may make the antenna my next project.

If you are in an area where the TV signal is horizontal then the old Winegard with the Winegard add on is as good as the new from what I have seen but if you are in an area where there is a vertical TV signal then the new butterfly Winegard should be miles ahead as it is boosted on vertical and horizontal.

Only a couple of months ago I did a test with the WinSig add on in an area where I know the TV signal was vertical only and was very disappointed to fine the WinSig add on did nothing.

Read this early post: http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19466

Only issues I would have with the new butterfly Winegard would be strength as it only requires one post to support it and make sure the area on your van roof can accommodate the shape of the new Wingard when down and rotating when up as the bottom half is just above roof height.

If we only had horizontal TV signal I would stick to the old but we don’t and now with the help of smart phone TV signal location app’s we know if it is vertical or horizontal.

JR
:razz:

jessdogster

Post by jessdogster » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:35 am

I've now had both DT
Our former van had the original wind-up antennae and I added the Winsig attachment (even cut it down for tuning :roll: ).
We now have the new bow tie design and i think the old design performed better. We've re-visited sites (in Tas) where we went with the previous van with reception and can no longer tune in.
I also don't like the 'aero-dynamics' of the new design - its height and design capture the wind far greater than the former design - it wobbles around a fair bit in the wind.
Time over, I'd go back to the old design.
cheers
Jdog

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:16 am

A couple of factors to consider.
VHF is just about phased out.
There is no such thing as a "Digital Antenna".
Both these antennas under discussion are really designed for convenience rather than reception.
There is no universal panacea, every situation requires a different antenna for good results, the Winegard in its various forms is a compromise.
http://www.deeperimage.com.au/Knowledge ... rences.pdf

Something like this is the best solution even has foldable elements but you do need to go back to a pole clamped to your drawbar....

http://www.selby.com.au/32-element-tv-a ... vAodq-EKew
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:57 am

TramcarTrev wrote:VHF is just about phased out.
TT, as at May this year there were 325 VHF TXs out of a total for the whole of Oz and its Islands of 2,812.

So VHF was 11.5% of all licenced transmissions and mainly in the big cities.

I can't get a current database as the ACMA site is down today :(
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:18 am

TramcarTrev wrote:Are you talking about the antenna that looks like two bow ties?? phased loop array???
This antenna has a few nick-names but Wingard Freevision seems to be the most official.

Not sure that I would call it a phased loop array in the traditional sense but that's neither here nor there. I understand it to be 2 identical antennae mounted 90 degrees apart and each with its own amp and I assume combined to a single output. A phased array would normally have multiple antennae all equally contributing to a single output. This Wingard combination would produce most output on the single antenna best aligned with the TX polarisation.

I also understand that this Wingard is either an Oz design or has Oz design input but is made in the USA. I know the latter for a fact as Wingard told me 4 years ago ... http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 83#p137783
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:23 pm

jessdogster wrote:I've now had both DT
Our former van had the original wind-up antennae and I added the Winsig attachment (even cut it down for tuning :roll: ).
We now have the new bow tie design and i think the old design performed better. We've re-visited sites (in Tas) where we went with the previous van with reception and can no longer tune in.
I also don't like the 'aero-dynamics' of the new design - its height and design capture the wind far greater than the former design - it wobbles around a fair bit in the wind.
Time over, I'd go back to the old design.
cheers
Jdog
Hi Jdog
That's the sort of stuff I need to know. My problem is the same, how am I going to test the thing? I would have to the same and go to the same places to try it.
But I don't want to do a $230-00 experiment. :)
These Winegard freevision antennas are a good price at that, considering they are at Carac for almost $90-00 more at $320-00.
I reckon I will leave well enough alone and stay with the old Sensar. After all the extra attachments already cost me $150-00.

Even me testing is not conclusive as if you go to a bit of higher ground in the same area it changes things. And I do not have any method to test like meters either.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:37 pm

I see this antenna appearing on some of the new vans.

It sits as is and does not windup, I expect you can rotate it but not sure.
It does not look as though it would be any good for vertical polarization signals.
antenna.JPG
JR
:razz:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

loub

Post by loub » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:01 pm

I have had the full aray of antennas and i must say the new wingaurd Sensor which is the two bow ties is great and i am very pleased with it.In Tassy for a few months at the moment and it has been great.Far surperior then the old style in my opinion.Yours Peter
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Return to “Product Info sought”