The cheapest LPG I have seen for years.

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
bagmaker

Re: The cheapest LPG I have seen for years.

Post by bagmaker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 am

PeterD wrote:
bagmaker wrote: So "Fully" filled, $12.99.
When you say "fully filled," have you done a before and after weighing of your bottle to check that it is not one of the bottles that only fills to 8.5 kg. There is no standard that specifies the minimum capacity of a so called 9 kg bottle. Many of them are only capable of being filled with 8.5 kg of gas. That's why the swap and go re-filers only fill their bottles with 8.5 kg of gas, ie to make sure everyone gets the same quantity of gas.
Hi Peter,
just weighed it ( I do this a fair bit so should be accurate too) at 9.08kg over cylinder tare. It is a swap and go cylinder, last swapped bunnings prolly a month back.

Cheers

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Hang on to it then, you will get good value with refills.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:34 pm

J.REEVES wrote:Thanks for the link Seaman,

Looks like my valve is faulty as it will not fully isolate both bottles. It is almost isolating both bottles but not fully.
Its not important as you can isolate the gas bottles anyway but suggests the valve is not to good anyway.

JR
:razz:
I wonder at the "real" need for a swap over valve... A T is all that is required and the gas is controlled by turning the bottle valves on or off... Unless of course you run to an Auto changeover Valve..
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:33 pm

TramcarTrev wrote:
J.REEVES wrote:Thanks for the link Seaman,

Looks like my valve is faulty as it will not fully isolate both bottles. It is almost isolating both bottles but not fully.
Its not important as you can isolate the gas bottles anyway but suggests the valve is not to good anyway.

JR
:razz:
I wonder at the "real" need for a swap over valve... A T is all that is required and the gas is controlled by turning the bottle valves on or off... Unless of course you run to an Auto changeover Valve..
Hi TT,
I reckon that you are now on the minimalist side of things.
It would be necessary with just a tee connecting two bottles to turn the gas of on the full bottle. And that is what you are trying to prevent. How else can you remove the empty one for a refill? When you undo the bottle you have an open end of a full bore pipe.
Or am I missing some thing and having a senior moment?

In an auto system the whole governor system changes to the full bottle sensing the pressure drop of the empty bottle. The pointer is merely set to point at the full bottle and nothing has lost its flame and all appliances are still working.The empty can be taken away with no pressure drop.

With a manual system you actually can run out as soon as the bottle is empty, then change to the full bottle.The pointer going to the full bottle (being a tap) , then isolates the empty bottle for removal.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:27 pm

TramcarTrev wrote:I wonder at the "real" need for a swap over valve... A T is all that is required and the gas is controlled by turning the bottle valves on or off... Unless of course you run to an Auto changeover Valve..
It is handy to be able to swap a bottle and not to have to start the gas appliances after you have done so.
PeterD

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 pm

J.REEVES wrote:Looks like my valve is faulty as it will not fully isolate both bottles. It is almost isolating both bottles but not fully.
Its not important as you can isolate the gas bottles anyway but suggests the valve is not to good anyway
It is not designed to isolate both gas bottles. Does it work properly when you turn the cock indicator fully towards the the operating bottle? If it does then there is nothing wrong with it. You really should not ask it to do a job it is not designed to do.
PeterD

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:57 pm

PeterD wrote:
TramcarTrev wrote:I wonder at the "real" need for a swap over valve... A T is all that is required and the gas is controlled by turning the bottle valves on or off... Unless of course you run to an Auto changeover Valve..
It is handy to be able to swap a bottle and not to have to start the gas appliances after you have done so.
Yes point taken.... The one on my van leaks from left to right all be it slowly... But as I have Gas Fuses fitted with gauges on them, if I turn the valve to one side or the other and open the relevant valve after a few minutes both gauges are showing the same. That tell me that its leaking across the top of the T...
So in my case I could not leave one side on while I ran around trying to get a refill...
I had considered getting an Auto Changeover but I'm reliably informed they leak across too and are best suited to on site refilling.

If these do leak that poses a serious threat especially if you take an empty cylinder away for refilling and someone causes a spark...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:59 am

TramcarTrev wrote: I had considered getting an Auto Changeover but I'm reliably informed they leak across too and are best suited to on site refilling.
If it was so they would be off the market as good not designed for the purpose.

But they are not easily maintained and are sold as a serviceable item . (Dunno how though)

Some internet sales points say to check or replace after five years of service from a governor. Not sure if that is talking about the auto change over bit of these things as they can be separated.

could be a bit of arse protecting blurb as well.

My Marshal USA set up is 8 years old and works well.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:55 am

We prefer to refill our original bottles. Probably will swap and go when the expire dates looms.
On another note:-
We have dual bottles in our van boot. The gas pipe/lead will only reach the closest bottle. Is it possible for me to have an extension lead/ pipe so I can then connect to the 2nd reserve bottle without having to pull the boot to pieces to reconnect the reserve bottle?. If so... what type of extension pipe and wherfe would I be able to get one?
I realise that I could take the van to a Gas fitter and have a new pipe fitted.

cheers
Jay&Dee

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:38 am

J&D, I'm struggling a bit to understand :confused:

It seems that you are saying you have 2 bottles but by design only one at a time is able to be connected. Or is it that the design was only ever intended for a single bottle but you carry a spare in there too?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Return to “Product Info sought”