The cheapest LPG I have seen for years.

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
Plumbum

Re: The cheapest LPG I have seen for years.

Post by Plumbum » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:12 pm

J.REEVES wrote:While we a talking gas I have a question on the change over valve on the gas bottles.
When the valve is in the mid position should it isolate gas from both bottles or is it only when one bottle is selected the other is isolated?

I would have thought the mid position should have both bottles turned off but does it?
These change over valves a not exactly a quality item as I have seen one lose its selection handle and one become very notchey when changing over, like there was something inside loose or an ‘O’ ring had dislodged.

Yes up at Williamtown near Newcastle a garage was selling gas at that cheap price but now has increased the price but still below $22.00.

JR
:razz:
Hi JR, at risk of being OT, I will post a limk from caravansplus.com.au.

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/prod ... s_id=13227

It suggests that it can isolate both cylinders.

SS

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks for the link Seaman,

Looks like my valve is faulty as it will not fully isolate both bottles. It is almost isolating both bottles but not fully.
Its not important as you can isolate the gas bottles anyway but suggests the valve is not to good anyway.

JR
:razz:

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:54 pm

[quote="J.REEVES"]While we a talking gas I have a question on the change over valve on the gas bottles.
When the valve is in the mid position should it isolate gas from both bottles or is it only when one bottle is selected the other is isolated?quote]
They were not designed to do that. I personally would not do it. The valves on the bottles is sufficient to isolate the gas flow, they were designed to do that. The valves on the cylinders should be turned to fully closed or fully open. When they are fully open there is an O ring that assists in preventing gas escaping out the top of the valve.

The change over tap is best left in the direction of the bottle in use. If you do this there is less chance of having two partially empty bottles.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Just so folks know what it looks like here is a us example. It also shows the indicator system and a novel clamp for the gas bottles.
I don't think the clamp system is approved in Australia. For mine I like the wrap around holder we use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcKl-_nWd2E
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:47 pm

At Harden it's $18 for a 9 kg fill.
The manual change over valves are really only 2position. I had one off and did the suck test midway and it's very tricky to get it exactly in the right place to seal midway. I leave mine in position for the bottle I'm using then swing over to the other bottle and hunt round for a fill or servo with auto gas.
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

GeeCee

Post by GeeCee » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:18 am

I was surprised the other day when heading for my usual servo to fill my 9kg bottle for the home BBQ. Passed a Coles servo with $25 swap and go. Had to serve myself but got a new bottle and a refill. My old bottle was at about the end of it's life anyway. Think I got pretty good deal. Now have ten years on my new bottle.

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Just confirming I went to the original North Dandenong shop today (tues 18/10/2016) and the price remains. The bottle is filled in the traditional way by venting non-liquid. So "Fully" filled, $12.99.
The fellow has 8 filling stations ready to go, exceptional value.

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:35 pm

bagmaker wrote: So "Fully" filled, $12.99.
When you say "fully filled," have you done a before and after weighing of your bottle to check that it is not one of the bottles that only fills to 8.5 kg. There is no standard that specifies the minimum capacity of a so called 9 kg bottle. Many of them are only capable of being filled with 8.5 kg of gas. That's why the swap and go re-filers only fill their bottles with 8.5 kg of gas, ie to make sure everyone gets the same quantity of gas.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:49 pm

GeeCee wrote:I was surprised the other day when heading for my usual servo to fill my 9kg bottle for the home BBQ. Passed a Coles servo with $25 swap and go. Had to serve myself but got a new bottle and a refill. My old bottle was at about the end of it's life anyway. Think I got pretty good deal. Now have ten years on my new bottle.
Well done GeeCee,

In one instance in NSW I swapped my bottle and the young man gave me one that was out of date.

I said no way can I accept it. "every bottle here has been retested by this supplier "he said. "I don't care "I said.
The thing I had to explain was, not that they had or had not checked that bottle, but that they had not re stamped the thing as being retested on a certain date and so giving the bottle a new lease ten year life.

No retest stamp or label, and it didn't happen.

If I go to the next town with an out of date bottle the manual filler man will rightly say "Go and buy a new bottle"
I mean how the hell does the next bloke know if I am telling the truth.

If the out of date bottle leaked and killed me how could I prove that I died due to that mob not retesting. It would turn a man over in his grave, so it would.... :rolleyes:

Unless of course they have different laws in NSW. But the bottle is now in Victoria, so I don't think the laws a different.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 pm

PeterD wrote:
bagmaker wrote: So "Fully" filled, $12.99.
When you say "fully filled," have you done a before and after weighing of your bottle to check that it is not one of the bottles that only fills to 8.5 kg. There is no standard that specifies the minimum capacity of a so called 9 kg bottle. Many of them are only capable of being filled with 8.5 kg of gas. That's why the swap and go re-filers only fill their bottles with 8.5 kg of gas, ie to make sure everyone gets the same quantity of gas.

The swap n' go cylinders are filled automatically and are only charged with 8.5kG of LPG irrespective of the size. The LPG is pumped in with a measured charge, the bleed screw is not used...
Still you can weigh your cylinders empty and filled and if the Cylinder is manually filled using the bleed screw you can actually end up with a tad over 9kG of LPG in them...

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/398-are-bb ... kg-or-85kg
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Return to “Product Info sought”