Waeco Mobitronics

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
elijoh
Location: Charters Towers QLD, 2005 Landcruiser HDJ79, 1996 Pheonix Nomad 23'

Waeco Mobitronics

Post by elijoh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:48 am

Just wondering if anyone knows of an alternative fridge power supply to the Waeco Mobitronics or if they have improved their design at all, I am having problems with fridge constantly starting and stopping when running on house batteries, even though batteries are still showing 12 volts, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

TramcarTrev

Re: Waeco Mobitronics

Post by TramcarTrev » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:03 am

Yep had the same trouble. I went and bought a 15amp power supply which though not at all weather proof does a really good job, you could put it in a plastic box with a fan and a few holes to allow air circulation... A lot cheaper than the genuine thing too...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/S-180-12-Sup ... xydlFSr7Mc
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

elijoh
Location: Charters Towers QLD, 2005 Landcruiser HDJ79, 1996 Pheonix Nomad 23'

Post by elijoh » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Only problem there is changing from mains to battery and back, and remembering to do so, thanks for the suggestion though, I have tried running straight off batteries, works ok, but was worried about constant cycling of the batteries.

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:24 pm

We bought, used, then soon ditched the Mobitronic. The fridge now runs straight from the batteries. Fridge has low voltage cut out, so will not completely flatten the batteries if the were getting low, but that has never happened. If we needed to use mains power, simple to use it to charge the batteries and keep the fridge running on 12 volt like it used to do before we tried the Mobitronic.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:52 am

elijoh wrote:Only problem there is changing from mains to battery and back, and remembering to do so, thanks for the suggestion though, I have tried running straight off batteries, works ok, but was worried about constant cycling of the batteries.
Maybe put the batteries on constant charge while drawing from them?
If you have to run off batteries then I dont see a solution that lets you use batteries without cycling them...
Or am I missing something here?
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

kevkim37

Post by kevkim37 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:19 pm

I have had two of the Mobitronic MPS 50's fail, so I bought a Jaycar Powertech 12 volt/12.5 amp Power Supply unit (MP 3573). It has been working fine so far for 20 weeks while on 240 power, it doesn't have the Auto Changeover like the Mobitronic, so just wired it in with a Cut off switch when not required for travelling.
The reason the Compressor is cutting in/out would be caused by Voltage Drop, I cured this by running a Heavier gauge wire from the batteries to the Compressor. I also found that the Auto Changeover system and internal design caused a very High Resistance which affected the Input voltage to the compressor and disconnecting from the Mobitronic helped this problem.
The reason I like to have the Fridge power supply for 240 volt usage is so I don't have to have the Internal 240 volt Caravan Battery Charger running to keep the Batteries charged up when under trees in Van Parks. Usually there is enough Solar still to keep them Charged for the 12 volt lighting etc.
I think it cost approx $125.
Cheers Kev.

dapope

Post by dapope » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:25 pm

I also had voltage drop issues. Cured by swapping to engle fittings. Otherwise use merit fittings.The cig sockets are a disaster recipe

Return to “Product Info sought”