Projecta 120W folding solar panel SPP120K

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: Projecta 120W folding solar panel SPP120K

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:49 am

Gray Phil
On our first trip in our old(er) van we had 2 X 100hr batteries and an 80w fold out panel admittedly I had the panels made and the controller on them is more robust than the ones on commercially available panels and the cable was a lot thicker as I wanted 6m of it
I was only learning and had no panels on the van, and we ran short of power a couple of times
On this old van we have the same amount of battery capacity but 2 80w panels on top I have not had to use the fold out yet and that includes using a compressor fridge, all our lights are led and we use a TV/DVD at Nightingale would think that having 2 batteries and the 120w will most probably give you enough power and you may find that you don't use the fold out unless you get a couple of days where you have cloud cover
Yes the regulator on the fold outs won't be as good as some but with both your roof panels and the fold out you should have no problems for 2 or 3 days, in the first van we were in a freecamp for 6 days had still had 12.2. in the batteries on the last morning
My batteries also charge off the back of the car IF I need them to, haven't needed it with the panels on top

All of this though depends on how much power you use

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:13 am

G'day Phil, welcome to the forum
On our first trip around WA (11 weeks) we had a 22yo van to which i had fitted 1 X 100 ah battery and had an 80watt fold out panel, we had no LEDs and were running a weaco fridge we did run short on power accouple of time but wecwere freecamping the majority of the time
As you increase your time freecamping, then increase your battery bank and your solar, for now what you have will suffice
Our son has a projecta 120w panel to recharge 2 x 110ah batteries at his shack and is really happy with it, he is not a heavy power user, he runs a weaco 55lt and sometimes a 35lt as well and a couple of LED lights

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:55 am

I too started with a fold out system going to Cape York years ago. They were a pain to both watch for theft, and also I was a prisoner to them and constant sun seeking.

But that's ok... it won't bother some folks and depends on the camping style etc....like daily moving.

They are now on top of the van and never complain. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Frank & Brenda

Post by Frank & Brenda » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:32 am

Sorry about the double posts above, I had sent the first one hours before and when I reopened the thread it was not there so wrote the second
Now I see both are there
Cyberspace must be celebrating as well ???????????

Return to “Product Info sought”