Friction Sway Control

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
muzz_on_line

Friction Sway Control

Post by muzz_on_line » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:51 pm

I am chasing information and experiences from those more travelled than myself, on the use of the Friction Sway Control devices which attach between the A Frame and the hitch via 2 ball joints.

My van is a Paramount Vogue dual axle and is 8.9 metres from the coupling to the spare wheel on the very back. It is 2.8 tonnes ATM and I tow with a BT50 without any problems in all conditions bar one.

The issue I have is when being passed by Semi's and pantechs. The suction and push affect can be quite unnerving but the whole rig has never got out of shape, but I have only travelled about 6000 klms so far.

Would the use of a Friction Sway Control device reduce this issue by any significant amount?

They appear to be a cheap way of reducing the frayed nerves whilst driving on multi lane highways and motorways.

I would be very interested to hear from others who have fitted them for this reason, and whether it improved the situation. I normally tow at speeds around 85 to 95 KPH and have towed at 105 KPH on a very very good stretch of road without any issues.

I look forward to hearing from other peoples experiences.

Thanks

Mazda BT50 GT with full Canopy
Paramount Vogue 22' Internal

muzz_on_line

Re: Friction Sway Control

Post by muzz_on_line » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:06 pm

This is the type I am referring to -
Anti Sway Control.jpg
Muzz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Muzz, can't help you with any experience.

That brand is identical to the Hayman Reese, just different labelling. Also it is rated by HR only up to 160 kg ball weight. I'm sure you will have much more.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

loub

Post by loub » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi Muzz I have a HR one of those friction controls . They work ok but you would be a bit heavy for one .You could put one each side and that would be better. I would have put the dual cam sway controller from HR which is the bees knees but it would not fit my set up so I went for the one you are asking about . Their good up to 2ooo kilos ,hence I mentioned about using two. You still get a bit of feeling when passed close by one of the big boys but if you move over that little bit more it reduces the pull .I have towed at least 40 thousand with the current set up and as long as the van is loaded right the controller does lessen the tug .Yours Peter :razz:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Stuartandjan

Post by Stuartandjan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Why not have a look at the Andersen Anti Sway WDH? It will work on larger vans.

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:00 pm

HI guys,

OT - I haven't weighed my ball weight as yet, but it was sufficient to basically take all gaps out of the standard suspension leaf springs when I hook up. The assumption is that it would be 280 kgs or higher. The tug has now been upgraded to constant load rated springs and bigger bore shocks that have made a huge difference to the ride and handling (towing or not) especially around speed humps, roll over driveways, and corrugations.

Loub - That is good to hear with your set up. As it is less than 100 hard earned to buy these kits, it would not be a big expense to at least try them I suppose. I also move over where I can but it was pretty hair raising when I was passed in the Sydney Harbour Tunnel. I was looking for sparks as it went past.

Stuartandjan - I don't have any issues with my set up as I believe it is very well balanced based on the roads that I have travelled so far. It is the multi lane roads that are the issue as the big boys don't move over like when they are passing on the open road. The big boys have always been great on the open roads no matter what the condition of the surface.

I will wait to see if there is any other comments from this great forum before I decide.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Cheers
Muzz

MikeL

Post by MikeL » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello Muzz,

Have you seen this product from Dexter, Melbourne Trailers are agents for the product. The You Tube link is shown below, you might have to cut & paste the website into you internet search engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf8ImtKqshw

This system can be fitted of any trailer or caravan as it is not limited to Dexter Axles only.

The Alko ASC system can only be fitted to Alko axle & brake assemblies as far as I am aware.

I think the price is around $1700.00 installed.

Hope this is of help.
Regards,

MikeL

2011 Pajero GLS 3.2L
Regent "Clare" 17'6" single axle van.

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Despite getting as far over to the other side of the road as I can when overtaking I've had van's cross the white line and almost make contact as I go past.

Some have been so bad that I've considered having a camera recording down both sides as well as the one I have looking out the windscreen, just incase someone who can not control their vehicle feels that they can justify an insurance claim by saying I was in their lane.

The best option for everyone would be if caravans travelled at the same rate as all the other traffic on our highways to reduce the time we need to spend in the oncoming traffics lane but that is certainly a debate for another thread on another day!!!

If you hear people talking about wobbly's on the radio they're referring to caravans

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:21 am

Hi MikeL,

I have looked at the Dexter and Al-Ko systems. As I don't get out of shape when on the road they are not what I am looking for. I agree that they both appear to be great safety items to have although expensive. As they say, what price do you put on safety.

Hi Sean,

Reading your reply it was hard to work out what you were getting at, I assume you are referring to - from a big rig drivers perspective. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In my case it is the wind pressure from these big rigs causing the concern, not what I am doing or not doing. My van is quite large and I get pushed from the middle of a lane to the left of the lane, and then get sucked completely to the right hand side of the lane. It is the sucking of up to a metre to the right at the speed I am doing and over such a short distance that is of concern. I have never had the rig get out of shape but with over 4 tonne at speed being pushed or pulled so far could lead to something at sometime. I have no doubt that this is a common problem so I am looking at what can minimise the affects.

I have noticed that I do not get the same type of reaction from the wind pressure when I come through cuttings in high wind areas. It is a much more subtle affect.

Muzz

loub

Post by loub » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Muzz I would be looking at the Dual sway Cam from HR rather than the friction model mentioned it would fit the build for your needs as I read in your last post. Yours Peter :razz:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Return to “Product Info sought”