View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 NULON SYNTHETIC OIL 

Post Re: NULON SYNTHETIC OIL
Is there really a big difference, between the different well known brands of oils. I know they say there is, but not if they got the same specs. i also believe you can mix the different brands, i think the American army demanded that in WW2, i would not recommend that.
Nulon, to me, was mostly known as an additive to your normal oil.
I went to a Toyota-Honda dealer, they had Toyota oil in one side of the spare parts and Honda oil in the other side. Honda oil was a lot dearer, i asked them why, they could not tell me. In the workshop they used Caltex.
I worked with a John Deere tractor and we where only allowed to use John Deere oil because of warranty issues.
But i think its a lot of baloney, they just want to sell their brand.

Hans

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Dealerships and service centres only use the oil that gives them the best profit and back hander. Oil has a huge mark up and I mean huge

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:41 am

I don't buy as much as a large workshop doing services all day would, but I'm SHOCKED at how cheap I can get oil for compared to retail pricing.

Sean

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:39 am

We used to buy part synthetic for $2.10 a litre and sell retail for $14.00 the boss also got a bonus on how much we sold.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:20 am

Have tried to buy Nulon at 3 Repco stores around here but they didn't stock it.
I wait for Supercheaps 20% off sales then go get my supply - usually comes down to about $48.00 for 5 litres.
I take an oil change with me(6 litres) as I've had a lot of trouble finding Nulon anywhere outside the major cities.

Jeff.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:05 pm

My local Mitsubishi dealer uses Valvoline Semi Synthetic.

Many people on the Pajero forum have looked into what their dealer is using & some are Semi othere are full Synthetic & different brands, so it's safe to assume that just using what the dealer uses is not necessarily a great idea.

I don't know what's best that's why I asked.
I certainly don't work for Nulon or I would be getting my oil Cheaper, but... This is what I have found.

It was suggested in this thread that Nulon had comparison tests done but they dont say who they compared to. This is incorrect, as they DO say on their web site. http://www.lessfriction.com.au/

Somebody else incadited that Repco's 20% off with RACV, RAA etc membership is probably cheaper than Supercheap. From My limited experiance, I have a Niece that works for Repco and was able to get me a good saving of $40 staff discount. This brought the price down to just $1 more than Supercheap's walk in off the street price. Pretty much the exact same story for Ryco Filters as well. BTW, I dont work for Supercheap either. The message here is Shop Around.

I think I will stick with Nulon and Hope that I am making the right decision. What I would like to find out is who the SA State Distributor is and see if I can buy it at a better price, bigger container, etc.

I went with Ryco filters for my first service but I am thinking of using Donaldson Filters in future. I still have to do some more research but I believe they have a good name in Diesel Filters, & they do an Engine set for a good price.

I appreciate all the comments & views of you all, and thank you for your help.

Steve

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:32 am

Donaldson filters are brilliant. The 2 brands we buy in are Donaldson and Fleetguard. Fleetguard are made by Cummins who know a thing or 2 about diesel engines.

In some of the test results from Nulon they don't specify which oil is which in the graph, however they have been copping a lot of flack over these tests and have fixed many of the issues, such as spelling analysis wrong. Would you believe there are forums just for disusing oil? Google up "Bob the Oil Guy" Nulon copped a thrashing on there for these tests.

In Adelaide the place to go for Donaldson or Fleetguard is "Air Filter Cleaners" at Kilkenny. Their number is 8347 1998. I don't know what their counter sales prices are like but our trade rates are a bargain. The handy thing for me is that they deliver to my workshop for free too.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:00 pm

No Sean, not Cummins. Cat engines, Cat filters and Cat oil :lol: :lol:

Hans

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks for that Sean, as it happens, I think I may be able to get trade price, so thats good info.

At this stage, I am still happy to go with Nulon. Gut Feeling I suppose, but it's a strong gut feeling.

Do happen to know the Nulon State Distributors in SA by any chance?

Steve

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2