Wireless reversing cameras for van

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
Dubbo1

Wireless reversing cameras for van

Post by Dubbo1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 am

Has anybody fitted a wireless system to there van and does it work well.

TeddyGQ
Location: Shepparton, VIC 2004 7.3 litre F250 Supercab Ute. Supreme Elite 23'6

Re: Wireless reversing cameras for van

Post by TeddyGQ » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:47 pm

I have a Jaycar wireless video to help me hook up. Aimed straight at the tow ball. Lets me see left/right as well as up/down. I already had power in the rear door of my GQ Nissan Patrol so the camera was easy and I run 'Hot" 12volt outlets in the cabin.
Our new van, due late November will have a hard wired rear view cameras fitted when built. The wireless ones are cheap enough to buy and try. GIve them a shot.

geoff&glen

Post by geoff&glen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:12 pm

I had a jaycar wireless rear camera it worked ok on the car but could not get it to work on the van ,
I dont think you can beat having it hard wired in
Geoff&Glen
2013 Isuzu d max
2014 Jurgens Tooradin j26 series

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:50 am

Dubbo1 wrote:Has anybody fitted a wireless system to there van and does it work well.
If the question is for the back of the "Caravan" all my info is go wired, as they play up with all the other electrics that are out there.(so I hear).
Not saying some work well but I would really check all the forums dealing with them to find that really good model.
In a car the signal is not stressed but it may get lost to the end of a caravan, but I know nothing, and don't have one on the van. Only for the tow ball. all up around $50-00 and self fitted but wired.

The directions pretty well nil, wires all the wrong colours for Ozz.... Suck and see. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 am

A friend of mine has a wireless camera to see behind the vehicle and he is happy with its performance except he was saying that occasionally he gets to see inside peoples homes as he drives past!

It seems to sometimes pick up house security cameras which must transmit at the same frequency.

I use a wired camera on the van and from previous posts on the subject the wireless cameras are not
very reliable behind a van, no problem with the wired camera.

JR
:razz:

Dubbo1

Post by Dubbo1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Thanks for answers

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi Dubbo

We tried one, but the reception was too patchy through our caravan. It worked OK right up to the interior back of the caravan but the extra wall was too much. Wireless was fine for the tow vehicle. We hard wired for much better results.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

johna56

Post by johna56 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Have used the same twin cameras on two vans. It is the Jayco unit, still advertised and has worked well for about 3 years to date. As stated here, you sometimes get to see other images when passing close to shops etc but only lasts seconds and only because there is no signal coming from the reversing car camera when driving forward and never a problem. The camera for the rear of caravan has cable to allow the placement of the sender aerial up at the front of caravan and is as clear as the reversing camera for the 4x4 and is not as affected by external signals like the reversing camera that switches off when driving. Have the van wired to turn the camera on as soon as the van is connected and use it as a rear vision camera and no need for extra mirrors until reversing into tight parking areas.

GerryP

Post by GerryP » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:19 pm

I too tried a wireless job without success, but admittedly that was a few years ago now. I have ours hard wired and have it on all the time so I can keep an eye out behind me while we're on the road.

Gerry
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2012 Traveller Sensation Pinnacle 21'
Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Murray & Anita

Post by Murray & Anita » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:47 am

Just a point Johna56, you say no need for extra mirrors. I would agree in principal, as have had a camera on the back of 3 vans now. However I understand it is a legal requirement that you must be able to see the rear corners -that is down both sides - of your van from the driving position.
I also have a camera mounted on the back of the cruiser, very useful for hitching up. This is wired to be on all the time, not just in reverse, so can switch images to check front of van when on the road.
[font=Georgia][i]Murray & Anita[/i][/font]

Return to “Product Info sought”