View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Caravan security 

Post Re: Caravan security
Hi there,

I use a Talon Lock, all Hi Grade Stainless Steel, with a By - Lock Key & a pin to shorten up the chains.

Not cheap, but very difficult to remove.

I leave my van on a stand, NOT A JOCKEY WHEEL.

I they want it badly enough, they will need a strong back to lift the 240 Kg Ball Weight.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:13 pm

I haven't tried it Sid.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

At home we use a wheel clamp, a hitch lock, a large cable around a tree behind the van attached to the rear bumper and a dog who sounds like she would eat you alive. Our van is parked out the front but most of the time my car is parked in front of it, and I work from home. We also have very good insurance. I think probably our best protection is the Jayco down the road that has no security devices, their van would be a much easier target.

When away we use the hitch lock sometimes, and get to know our neighbours at least to say hello to. We decided the wheel clamp was too heavy and too large to take with us. I think the chances of it being stolen when camped are very low, most thefts seem to happen from where vans are parked for a long time.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop
Cyclone wrote:
Motherhen wrote:
We saw the x-chock style on a parked fifth wheeler. I thought it better than a handbrake for parking. Someone suggested as security deflating the tyres would release it.

Thanks for that Motherhen. You just deflated that idea
Sid

Sid,
I don't know too many people who travel without some sort of tools in the car, a spanner or shifter, would do the job easily and you would not need to re-inflate the tyre.

As a security measure it would be next to useless other than be a bit time consuming to remove

But it is made a wheel chock, to stop movement whilst in the van

Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 pm

The dog sounds like a good one :D

Azhure wrote:
At home we use a wheel clamp, a hitch lock, a large cable around a tree behind the van attached to the rear bumper and a dog who sounds like she would eat you alive. Our van is parked out the front but most of the time my car is parked in front of it, and I work from home. We also have very good insurance. I think probably our best protection is the Jayco down the road that has no security devices, their van would be a much easier target.

When away we use the hitch lock sometimes, and get to know our neighbours at least to say hello to. We decided the wheel clamp was too heavy and too large to take with us. I think the chances of it being stolen when camped are very low, most thefts seem to happen from where vans are parked for a long time.

Your last sentence sums it up well.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 am
Profile WWW

I do have several measures against theft at home, living on a semi rural 5 acre block does help in that I can park it where it is not seen from the roadway, but I must admit I take little or no precautions when on the road and I dont ever recall seeing any type of of obvious locking devices on vans in caravan parks. We never leave the van at freecamps, as we only use freecamps for overnight stops.
We have never had a problem with security whilst caravanning over the last 30 years.
We might be just lucky.

Hank

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:33 am

Hank,
I've also been lucky. But I do have a hitch lock to use depending on the perceived threat.
I still won't leave it at a free camp unless I feel I can trust the neighbours.
Most caravans can be dragged onto a tilt back truck anyway, no matter what we use.
glanyard

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:16 am

Many thanks for the replies to my question on caravan security. There are some good ideas here of which I will adopt a few of them for my piece of mind especially when parked at home.
There was very little feedback in relation to wheel clamps. Do I take it that not many of you use them ? Or perhaps not investigated their use, or do not think they are a useful security device.

Ray

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2