View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 SOG - Toilet ventilation 

Post Re: SOG - Toilet ventilation
wrongo wrote:
Muzzy, as I said last post, we still use nappisan type products ,throw your smelly stuff over the fence.
Sog really only pulls the smell off of your ....

Gordon W

Please feel free to go to the top left of page and go to User control to insert a state into your profile. It helps us to help you as regards advice and parts shopping etc. :)
Then at least we will know where not to come....... :)

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:14 am

Well I've now installed a SOG system.
I followed the instructions and found that at times, the English translation was difficult to understand. This led to a wiring problem which had me blowing fuses (8 :shock: ) until I figured out the true problem and the mistake I was making - the instructions were a little unclear at this point.
I'll continue to use Napisan mixed with Morning fresh and leave off the eucalyptus oil in the loo juice - I still have to empty it :rolleyes:
Will report further upon experience and use when I can get away for a trip.
cheers
Jdog

Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:38 am

As one may expect I made my own, considerably cheaper and vastly more efficient than the genuine sog. I use an 80mm fan which shifts around 17Cu/ft /min.... I also used carbon fibre mat from an Acqurium shop as an odor filter....
Let me try and drege up some pictures...

Attachment:
File comment: Modified ventilaor cap
DSCN1636.JPG
DSCN1636.JPG [ 32.01 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: showing th ventilator cap in position. Ensure the rreal cap is in place before moving the van....
DSCN1640.JPG
DSCN1640.JPG [ 26.83 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: A power point spacer block holds the Carbon filter
Gracie rides the rails 016.jpg
Gracie rides the rails 016.jpg [ 16.25 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Louvred kitchen vent to keep the rain out...
Gracie rides the rails 017.jpg
Gracie rides the rails 017.jpg [ 22.71 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:48 pm
Profile WWW

TT,
I see the yellow cap stored under the reservoir. Do you need to install it while travelling?

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:55 pm

rip wrote:
TT,
I see the yellow cap stored under the reservoir. Do you need to install it while travelling?

Yes, its a good idea unless the casette is empty, I have forgotten to reinstall the Yellow cap, but I assure you only once.....

But this works, it keeps all odours out of the van and the charcoal prevents neibouring vans getting a whiff...
The big advantage of going chemical fee is that legally you can dump anywhere or into a septic system. For ramblings in the out back I dig a decent hole, empty into the hole, allow the liquid to soak away then backfill.... Thats more responsible than just tipping it out on the ground like some do who use chemicals that preserve the waste and leave a little mound behind in perpetuity...

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:34 am
Profile WWW

Ok what I should also mention is that rather than a microswitch to activate the fan I used a magnet and a reed switch and you're all going to ask why.

Well the reed switch and magnet contains no moving parts and also is sealed and hence more reliable. Microswitches should never be used in explosive atmospheres because unless they are the incredibly expensive sealed ones there can be a spark which conceveably could ignite any methane present; decomposing waste gives of methane....... The air path is via the hole in the toilet pan, over the contents and out the spout that has the modified sink strainer to stop Blowies getting in but its not essential the carbon filter stops flies getting in anyway.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1PC-Recessed ... Swv0tVKJYP

The switch can handle 500mA an 80mm Fan typically draws 150mA.

It was easy to "mount" the switch and magnet using epoxy putty so no holes or screwing were involved, the switch is normaly open so the magnet has to be stuck on the arm so that when the blade on the loo is opened the magnet swings around, closes the circuit and starts the fan...

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:59 am
Profile WWW

A chap is bringing his van around for conversion on the weekend. He insists on using a fan with hydrodynamic bearings as his wife was concerned about the noise of the fan in my van.... So he has himself one of these:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Electromechani ... n/p/YX2570

You can bet that when someone else hears how quiet this is she will want one.....

Another "No Chemicals" devotee has put an aerator in his cassette and leaves the fan running all the time... Maybe worth playing with as thats how a real sewage treatment plant works, induce heaps of aerobic bacteria to consume the stuff.... But with ( in my case) about a 3 day period between empties Im not so sure much would happen....

Then again thats how the powdered peroxide powders work....

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:38 pm
Profile WWW

That mod worked out well in what is obviously an evolutionary process.

The carbon filter was not put in a box externally but simply sandwiched between 2 fingergards and sits inside the compartment on the back of the fan secured by wing nuts on 50mm long securing screws that hold the fan and the odor filter. Simpler to change and not out in the weather....

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Electromechani ... d/p/YX2511

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:44 am
Profile WWW

We've been away on a few trips now and am very happy with the SOG performance.
Will continue to use the Napisan and Morning Fresh though - Napisan assists the breakdown process and Morning Fresh keeps the cassette clean (so to speak).
I also bought a spare cassette ($150) and it has been a godsend as I can fill, then exchange cassettes and then empty at my convenience.
cheers
Jdog

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:36 pm

jessdogster wrote:
We've been away on a few trips now and am very happy with the SOG performance.
Will continue to use the Napisan and Morning Fresh though - Napisan assists the breakdown process and Morning Fresh keeps the cassette clean (so to speak).
I also bought a spare cassette ($150) and it has been a godsend as I can fill, then exchange cassettes and then empty at my convenience.
cheers
Jdog

Hi Jdog,
Not sure that napisan helps in the breakdown process.
certainly kills septic systems.

Septic systems rely on anaerobic bacteria in the septic tank and aerobic bacteria in the disposal area to do the breaking down.

I would be very hesitant to empty your cassette at a dump point that is reliant on a Septic System.

Regards
Gerry

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next