Redarc Tow Pro

Looking for information on certain Products? Here is the place!
blackmo

Re: Redarc Tow Pro

Post by blackmo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Sally
I agree with you, we had a redarc fitted this year on our new Prado and it is so compact and simple to use. I have found it better than other brake controllers which we had installed as far as confidence when towing is concerned on previous vehicles towing the same weighted van.
Peter
Peter & Robyn
Royal Flair 21'
Prado GXL Auto

ozjohn

Post by ozjohn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:47 pm

blackmo wrote:Sally
I agree with you, we had a redarc fitted this year on our new Prado and it is so compact and simple to use. I have found it better than other brake controllers which we had installed as far as confidence when towing is concerned on previous vehicles towing the same weighted van.
Peter
But is it the Redarc 'Tow Pro"?
OJ
Holden 2.8 Colorado- 17'6" Roma Elegance Pop Top.
Retired Engineer - Ex Caravan Consultant and Park Owner.
ACC - V00118

Sterling Sal

Post by Sterling Sal » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:54 am

Hi,

Thought this might be of interest. Gives a write up on the Tow Pro unit and how it works.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REDARC-TOW-P ... 3ce37736c5

Cheers,
Sally
STERLING SAL 69

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER WITH CONTROL RIDER SUSP & ESC

2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED WITH QUADRALIFT & 2009 PAJERO PLATINUM AUTO

2005 CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

GerryP

Post by GerryP » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi, we too have just installed the Redarc Tow Pro to our tow vehicle in preparation for an extended road trip north over the next few months.

While we have only just left a couple of days ago, we have given it a pretty good run including city traffic, up through the Adelaide hills and also on the open road. In all those conditions and set to automatic mode, I must say that I am very impressed! Once it's calibrated and you find the right setting for your particular rig, it really is set and forget.

I managed to fit the small control knob directly into the dash, where it is easy to see and within very easy reach. The manual over ride on the Tow pro is also very easy to use by simply pressing the control knob.

I have yet to use it in manual mode, but we'll definitely test that out sometime down the track sometime when we venture off road.

All up, very impressed with the Tow Pro. It works really well in all conditions tested so far and I really like the unobtrusive look with the installation.

Gerry
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2012 Traveller Sensation Pinnacle 21'
Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:39 pm

The main reason I bought a P3 to replace my working P2 was to get the facility to measure brake current.

The only sure basic minimum test of electric brake wiring/magnet functioning is to know how much current flows. On a tandem you may expect 12 amps (3 amps per magnet) at max braking and this tells you that the wiring is intact and each magnet is consuming expected current.

Does anyone know if the Tow Pro has this diagnostic ability?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

pauljp

Post by pauljp » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi All,

I have just had a Redarc Tow Pro installed and replaced our P3. I have to say the braking feels soooo much better. It "feels" smother and more linear. I also dont need to have it set so high to have a good combination braking feel. Eg not too much car and not too much van. The unit is easy to use and very unobtrusive. The calibration process is a bit different to go thru but once this has happened i find it even more set and forget - more so than the P3-had to keep adjusting the setting on the P3.
Very happy with the new unit.
Paul

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks Paul for the useful review :)

That was also your chance to answer my posted query. Does the Tow Pro have diagnostic ability, like measuring brake current?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

pauljp

Post by pauljp » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi OT,

I think that i may be most unqualified to answer that question as i had a P3 and could not let you know that answer. All i know from a P3 was the voltage on the front.
So to my knowledge....i dont know. There is no screen on it as on the P3 to show any voltages.
So, I'm thinking I am completely off your answer as I didnt know how to do it with the P3.
Sorry OT. I will pass on anything that i can to help.
Paul

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:37 am

Paul, on the P3 if you press the menu button (bottom right) then choose 'help' then choose "troubleshoot' it will display battery voltage and if you scroll down you will see output voltage and next, output current.

The only truly meaningful data on a brake controller is output current as this is a check of the total resistance in all of the wiring, controller and brake magnets :D

Just because there is voltage present at the output of the controller doesn't mean any or enough current flows.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

pauljp

Post by pauljp » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi OT,
Thanks for the tip. Never looked for it nor used it. At least the new controller "feels" like it works well.
Paul

Return to “Product Info sought”