View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Tyres 

Post Re: Tyres
I have just fitted a further set of Grabber AT2's on Land Rover Disco 3 after completing over 60,000km throught NT, Kimberleys in 2012 and FNQ last year. Pulled a 22'6 Traveller over much of the distance and very happy with the wear and performance. Only 1 puncture over the distance & that was a screw we picked up. AT2's also handled the Gibb River Rd and Cape Your with ease. Very happy -good value.

Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Further, I have ordered, and will have fitted tomorrow, a pair of BF Goodrich tyres to the rear of my Nissan.

Tue May 13, 2014 4:39 pm

I am running Bridgestone Desert Deulers 265-75-16 (10 ply) on my Navara and have been using Bridgestones for the past 15 years. We usually tow a 2.5 tonne caravan and used these tyres on the Canning Stock Route in 2010 without a single puncture or damage of any sort over the 1600ks of sand, rock and savage corrugations.
I just bought a new set for this years travelling and they cost $265.00 each.
I would suggest when considering which tyres to buy make sure that If you do have a problem on your travels out back that you can readily replace them enroute.
Some of these special?? type tyres are hard to get once you leave the big cities and that is one reason I buy the Bridgestones.

Jeff.

Mon May 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Jeffie, we are running a similar setup to you weight wise, my question is when driving on gravel / poor roads what pressure do you run. Do you reduce tyre pessure in these conditions. We run Bridgestone light truck tyres on van( 50 psi), likewise do you reduce pressure on van when travelling on poor roads. Beejay

Tue May 27, 2014 5:41 pm

Beejay,
As we don't normally travel with the van on rough unsealed roads for any great distance, the vans tyre pressures have not been an issue.
We normally run them at 50psi and they are Bridgestone LT R 623.
The 50psi is what is recommended on the vans compliance plate.
If we were to venture onto gravel roads for an extensive distance I would drop them to about 40psi.

The Navara is different - normal around town 40psi - when towing 45psi - these are the recommendations of Tyrepower.
Without the van on, when on the Great Central Road and The Tanami - 30psi and on the Canning Stock Route down to 18psi over the sand dunes and corrugations.

Jeff.

Fri May 30, 2014 1:18 pm

I suppose this wouldn't have happened if it didn't have 17 noodles in the side walls..... :)

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Fri May 30, 2014 7:28 pm

I have run Coopers on two vehicles since 1998 and have only had one problem; a bulging sidewall-small.
I discovered it before doing the Gibb River road so changed it.
When I got to Tyrepower in Karratha, they had a new tyre for me within three days.
I consider them very safe in the wet and will continue to pay the extra.
Over the years I have had problems with most popular brands of tyres; lets face it, all tyres are susecptable to punctures and blowouts in certain conditions.
glanyard

Sat May 31, 2014 8:35 am

Hi Chris,
I have been running BF Goodrich on my Landcruisers since cannot remember when and have never really had an issue until I went to buy my next set and found they were as scarce as hens teeth that was about two years ago. I have since purchased two for the van, no problem. As the GF’s have fairly rigid side walls I will stick to them on the van.

The Cooper AT3 tyre had just been released onto the Australian market so I thought I would do a bit of research on coopers as they seemed to be a good option but found the NET riddled with bad reports on coopers.
Anyway as they had the size and at the time the price was similar to the GF’s I thought I would give them a try. I have about 50,000K’s up now and have been very happy with them. They perform better than the BF’s on the beach which suggests the side walls are softer but seem to be also good on stony type roads and do not appear to suffer much damage from rock cuts. They run as quiet as or quieter than the BF’s and are better on wet roads. I doubt that I will see 80,000K from them but they seem to be wearing evenly and as far as the warranty goes I have never bothered returning them for a balance to keep the warranty valid.

I did a trip up to the Diamantine area (about 3000K of bad roads) and found the Coopers did not suffer to the same degree with cuts as the BF’s did on the van but to the BF’s defence they are carrying more weight than the Coopers are on the Landcruise. Only surface cuts no failures on either brand of tyre.

As 70% of my travel with the Landcruiser is towing the van I would not expect the same mileage as many would get if not towing but I may reach the 80,000K. Years ago when not towing as often I could see over 120,000K from the BF’s and would expect similar with the Coopers.

JR
:razz:

Sat May 31, 2014 1:14 pm

Thank you to all for the info on tyres and for giving me your experiences, Jen and i leave on the 19th of June for a half lap around the block( Perth, Pt Lincoln, Pt Augusta, Alice Springs, Darwin and back home in 8weeks) we are running Hercules Terra Tracs which were on the tug when we bought it and have travelled 60,000 kms with mostly our 20ft van on the back now early on i had one that had scolloped on the right rear being noisy i left it their so the two rears have worn quicker than the fronts :o Anyway i have arranged at a very competitive price for two more Terra Tracs to be fitted at Pt Lincoln, thanks again to all
Cheers Chris

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:49 pm

I had BF Goodrich ATs fitted on Saturday by Bob Jane Cleveland. I did a ring around for best price and Bob Jane matched best price less ten percent. Very happy with that.
Sid

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2