View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 FLIR PathfindIR driving ' light ' 

Post FLIR PathfindIR driving ' light '
G'day Folks,

Here is a question from left field.
Have any of you had first or second hand experience with the FLIR PathfindIR night vision driving aid?

What is it you ask? Well from my limited research, it is an InfraRed camera developed for cars trucks and automobiles to fill a huge gap in night, rain and fog driving vision needs.
The black and white image from the camera is viewable via your standard dash/windscreen mounted LCD monitor that many have fitted for a rear vision aid. 
Typical with any camera, the image can be recorded to black box if desired.
The camera which I understand is near waterproof, can be discretely mounted behind a grill ( providing there is line of sight) out of sight out of mind. No bragging rights required corz mines bigger than yours and won't peel the flesh off a pedestrian going over the bonnet.

For many many years I have been somewhat disappointed with driving lights of any ilk and price.
Even the new LED driving lights, al be it more current efficient, seem in my opinion to fall into the precise limitations of the very best and expensive driving lights.

Let me explain.
I have found that the time when I most need a good driving light is when I cannot by law use one. That is, when another vehicle is ahead of you or approaching you. That is when a driving light is, well, useless as it cannot be used and for good reason. But it leaves very dangerous blind spots and your eyes are doubly impaired by the oncoming light.
How frustrating when you end up with these black holes in front of you sidelined by the glare of the oncoming lights. We do not slow down of course but hope that that ghastly roo does not decide to make his move when your very expensive driving lights remain 'dipped' so to speak.

Don't get me started on 'built up area's' where again there appears to be limitations on the use of driving lights. ( correct me if I am wrong on that one )

Fog and rain. Hmmmm, don't have to slow down there either corz " I got these awesome lights that penetrate the thickest and heaviest of that stuff "
Are you kidding! most driving and fog lights do little to improve vision in my opinion and possibly contribute to additional risk taking.

So, I am thinking that when I get a bulbar fitted to my new DMAX, I might just consider giving driving lights a big miss, take out a second mortgage on my home and get me a discretely mounted PathfindIR cam instead.
No more blind spots, no straining to see in rain and fog. 
No airflow restrictions into the radiator, no new driving light when the roo's head take them out.
Glare of oncoming lights do not show up on screen.
No glare from those very big and ghastly signs.

I should point out that this IR camera is an aid and aught not be used in place of standard ADR fitment and road rule requirements.
There is some YouTube footage and specs available from the Flir site and possible others,
There is a good clip of a fella driving around Brisbane. Now I know why I pay such big power bills when you see just how hot those pole mounted transformers get.
Price, well I found one US site at over $2600.
Do not know if sold in Oz yet, but bet you pounds to peanuts, that spooks and cops already use them and so they should.

Usual disclaimer, I have no affiliation or financial gain to this product. Wish I did though.
Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]