Salted olives

A place to share ideas, recipes, techniques and all things cooking; whether it be at the stove or round the BBQ.
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Salted olives

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Salted olives.
Ok so I know most members have been busy making the olive pip remover I posted here……Not.
http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic … 43&t=20063
………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Any way now for the treatment of the olives. Put them into a bucket for around 12-15 days, change the water daily. They will go from a bright green to mostly Khaki and then they are ready to garnish with selected herbs.
I hope I can make it understandable.

Pic off bucket full
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Salted olives

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:12 pm

I selected some that were mostly a nice Khaki colour and we put in garlic, hot chilies to taste .You might like a little oregano. Then you add salt to taste as well with a table spoon of vinegar (whatever you have) to taste.
The salt is absorbed by the olives, preserves them and makes them tasty. It also takes the bitterness out of the olives. I like a lot of salt and maybe more than other people. :)

You can see the colour of some olives changing in this close up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Don’t turn your nose up if not salty enough, add more…..These are called salty olives after all. If you can’t eat salt, well don’t, or just eat less than the salt olive lovers.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Note, the process from raw to saturation in the fresh water is the hardest part, you must change the water daily. But it is easy with a colander and only takes a few minutes.

You can hurry it along by using very warm, not boiling, for the first three days. My mate just uses ordinary hot water from a tap from his hot water system. That’s just to say how hot it can be. Me, I never recommend this hot water for any direct usage like that. I prefer to use heated water always.

I don’t use any hot water as it was never traditionally used, but my friend makes 10 kg at a time and prefers to use hot water, and it hurries things along. :)

He has not suffered any ill effects so please yourself.
1929 Pop Top

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Is that ‘tap’ water or ‘salted’ in the first pic Paul ?

I’ve been thinkin about playing with olives.
We’ve got a row of O’Trees along the railway line at work but I need to be quick to beat the Europeans to them. :lol:
it’s good to see the produce being put to use rather than dropping to the ground though.
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

loub
An old hand

Post by loub » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:25 am

Looks good DT,i like your work.Love olives,Try smoking some,nice.Peter
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

jessdogster
Cracked the big time

Post by jessdogster » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:55 am

loub wrote:Looks good DT,i like your work.Love olives,Try smoking some,nice.Peter
I used to prefer tobacco myself Peter – wouldn’t the tall-ho papers tear when trying to roll them? :lol:

loub
An old hand

Post by loub » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:45 am

Yes JD it would and also be hard to light,but a salted and cured black olive in a food smoker that i know DT has would add a nice taste profile.Peter :razz:
21 Golf Linwood

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:09 am

Smoking olives sounds good, tell us more please.

Do you have to use ‘fresh from the tree’ olives or is it possible to dry and smoke ‘bought in the jar’ olives ?

Probably stoopid question, but hey, I don’t know :???:
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

loub
An old hand

Post by loub » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:49 pm

yes you can smoke ,say kalamata olives from the supermarket.All the smoking does is put that smoke flavor and dries them out a touch.You don.t do it for to long.Depends how hot the smoker is .You can also cold smoke if you like that.Just goes nice with cheese and wine and beer.peter :razz:
21 Golf Linwood

Return to “Cook’s Corner”