Neenish Tarts

A place to share ideas, recipes, techniques and all things cooking; whether it be at the stove or round the BBQ.
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Neenish Tarts

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:42 am

I see it has been pretty quiet here. Not enough blokes who are cooks? Not enough ladies on the forum?

Whatever the reason… I have always been a fan of the Oz invented Neenish Tart. In fact I say to my wife from time to time – I fancy a bit of tart ;-)

I came across this recipe a week ago and Mrs OT knocked up a batch for me. Then I thought perhaps it could be my contribution to Cook’s Corner….

Dating back almost a century, the velvety Australian neenish tart bursting with mock cream and topped with sickly sweet icing, is sure to hit a nostalgic chord.

Ingredients:
• 150g self-raising flour
• 150g plain flour
• 180g butter, softened
• 75g caster sugar
• 1 egg, lightly beaten

Filling
• 200g Sweetened Condensed Milk
• 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
• 125g butter, softened
• 120g icing sugar mixture, sifted

Icing
• 1 tsp milk, extra
• 240g icing sugar mixture
• 2 tbsps. milk
• 1 1/2 tbsps. baking cocoa

Method:
1. To make the pastry, preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C for fan forced. Grease two patty pans with 12 holes.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar; add egg until combined. Fold through sifted flours and knead until the pastry is smooth.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry and cut 24 x 6.5cm rounds. Line the patty pans and cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
4. To make the filling, use an electric mixer, blend the butter and sugar until pale in colour. Slowly add the sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice in an alternate patter, mixing well after each addition.
5. Fill prepared pastry cases with the mixture.
6. To make the icing, combine the icing sugar and milk in a medium bowl.
7. Place half the icing in a separate bowl. Add the baking cocoa and extra milk, stir until combined.
8. Spread white icing over filling onto half of each tart and smooth the surface. Allow to set for 5 minutes. Repeat with the chocolate icing and allow to set for 5 minutes.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Ancient Mariner
Avid poster

Re: Neenish Tarts

Post by Ancient Mariner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:13 pm

Sounds decadent OT. I have enough trouble with the waist line now let alone “Neenish Tarts”
Maybe you could try your hand at it next time
Cheers Graham

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:44 pm

OT,
A bit too complicated for me. I have become the bait layer in recent times but my skills range does not extend to Neenish Tarts. Never heard of them to be quite honest.
I can make a half decent scone and a good damper but “flash tarts” are not on the menu. :D
Enjoy.
Take it easy.
SD
Let’s do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:48 pm

Geeeeez Shags :shock:

I know you haven’t led a sheltered life, but still… just about every man and dawg knows about the Neenish. Have you checked with your dawg?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:16 pm

OT,
I checked with the NSB, she says she “Knows of the Neenish” but no offer was forthcoming to make some.

As I say I am none too flash as a babbler but I did spend a bit of time in camps where breakfast consisted of a cigarette and a look around which possibly accounts for the lack of culinary skills.

Take it easy.
SD
Let’s do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

A’van
Rising star

Post by A’van » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:36 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neenish_tart
http://www.heatherbraeshortbreads.com.a … istory.pdf
I don’t mind a bit of Neenish tart. But as far as making them myself, I don’t think so.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:34 pm

One of my favourites and a really excellent choice for a diabetic if they have mock cream and not real cream….

Ive never made them myself but I always check them out at the various bakeries I come across (with intent and purpose) in our travels… They really “work” with coffee for some reason, maybe the juxtaposition of the crisp pastry and smooth filling…

Vanilla Slices are another I cant resist and I do try to get to the National Vanilla Slice competition when ever I can. I’m heading to Ballarat to the Golden Nugget Bakery to try one then see if I can get a hypo while driving a vintage Tram around Lake Wendouree… http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/3292 … est-in-oz/.
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:21 pm

I like it OT, a bit of work makes for more satisfaction.

Will copy that for a go after I get back from my trip North.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:28 am

Talk about a jack of all trades!

I am a chocolate éclair man and my wife loves the neenish tart but due to waist line problems we very rarely have them anymore. Twenty years ago I would say I was a connoisseur of the chocolate éclair, chocolate not to hard or not to soft, cream mix closer to real cream than mocked cream with a touch of custard, the bun needed to be firm but not hard.

JR
:razz:

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:19 pm

J.REEVES wrote:Talk about a jack of all trades!

I am a chocolate éclair man and my wife loves the neenish tart but due to waist line problems we very rarely have them anymore. Twenty years ago I would say I was a connoisseur of the chocolate éclair, chocolate not to hard or not to soft, cream mix closer to real cream than mocked cream with a touch of custard, the bun needed to be firm but not hard.

JR
:razz:
Have to ever had the Choc Eclairs from Acland St in St Kilda, Melbourne??? The street is a cake lovers paradise with several cake shops catering to the aficionado…
My advise, take the tram, the brandied chock dipped meringues could put you over the limit… You need a 96 or a 16 ( the 69 dosent run anymore).

https://www.timeout.com/melbourne/resta … cake-crawl
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Return to “Cook’s Corner”