Where are the cooks?

A place to share ideas, recipes, techniques and all things cooking; whether it be at the stove or round the BBQ.
adnilnna1

Re: Where are the cooks?

Post by adnilnna1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

I like using the thermal cooker and am building up my repertoire.. one of my favs is meatloaf covered with strips of bacon... and the other day I made Choc chip puddings made in soup cans and cooked in the thermal cooker :-)
Linda and Pete.. We want to be grey nomads- he the grey and she the nomad!

jaschloe

Post by jaschloe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi,

I would like to know what people need to take for the cooking. We are newbies so this is probably one of many questions. We have the Weber Q. No oven in the van only grill (that I would not use in a van I don't even use at home as we use the BBQ) and a microwave. I am being told about weight, weight weight by mere male. I have an electric skillet and I have a slow cooker. I thought of the toaster oven because I like toasted sandwiches, maybe heat up a pie. so if those having been on the road for some time can give me some pointers I would be most appreciative. First trip for 10 days is at the end of September.

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Jaschloe

Considering weight and space, I can cook on my small caravan gas stove using lightweight kettle, large lightweight flat based frypan and two saucepans. I use a silicon baking sheet for rolls and a silicon loaf pan; lightweight and no rattles. A small baking/browning dish for the oven. I have a two burner camping stove with small gas cylinder for camping away from the caravan, if I wanted to cook outside in hot weather, or if something goes wrong and we run our of gas.

No slow cookers, thermal cookers, camp ovens or barbecues. We take no outdoor cookware.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

A'van

Post by A'van » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi
My wife can cook just about anything in the electric fry pan and the micro wave. The fry pan she uses outside,most of the time, if the weather is not to bad.
Chilli Con Carne is a good quick meal. We don't do to much fancy cooking, when we are away.
In the early years i spent some time in the bush. First we would boil some spuds on the Primus, then fry some steaks in the fry pan, cut the potatoes up, open a can of mushroom sauce and mix it all in the pan. Then we would open a large can of Fosters Lager each.
We had some good dinners. No radio or tv. We had to be at work at sunup and back, at the camp, at sundown.
Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:36 am

Hi Hans

Electric frypan and microwave - two things I don't take. These are bulky and heavy items and we are rarely on mains power. It depends on camping styles, room and weight allowance. Most caravanners I meet with microwaves say "Good for keeping handbag/wallet/bread/wine or whatever in" rather than they use it for cooking.

This lightweight frypan used on a gas burner can be use to fry, toast, stew, sauté or almost any other meal big or small. Costs $8 or $9 on special at Woolworths, so cheap enough to replace if it wears out.

It can be used if bush camping or in a caravan park.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

dlncooke

Post by dlncooke » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:29 am

Shhhhhhh your making me very hungry and it's only 5am.

I'll have to try some of these recipes soon !!!

jaschloe

Post by jaschloe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi,
Thanks very much Motherhen and the others, We enjoy our steaks and a few vegs/salad and I can do most thing in the electric skillet outside when using power. We are set up for free camping but we will be getting use to the van and the experience with power on our first trip. I suppose they have camp kitchen in some parks we will be using so mere male can do the steaks there.

A'van

Post by A'van » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:23 pm

Motherhen wrote:Hi Hans

This lightweight frypan used on a gas burner can be use to fry, toast, stew, sauté or almost any other meal big or small. Costs $8 or $9 on special at Woolworths, so cheap enough to replace if it wears out.

It can be used if bush camping or in a caravan park.
We have a couple of them pans at home, just upgraded to a Scanpan, but the cheap pans are just as good.
Good when i feel like a fried egg or an omelet etc.

Happy cooking. :)

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

Mally

Post by Mally » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:02 am

Favorite cooking appliance is electric wok. Wouldn't be with out it. Quick stir fries , stew and casseroles, deep frying, also combination rice cooker, slow cookers and steamer is great when going out for the day. The black BBQ plastic sheet for the community BBQ are great for cooking, no clean ups before and after. Great invention.
Quick wok recipe
500 gms chicken thighs cut up and stir fried
Small onion cut up
Pkt cheap French onion soup
Tin apricot nectar and few dried apricots
Throw into wok stir for a few mins done
Cook outside and sure to bring some stare bears!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVILLE & TRISH

Post by NEVILLE & TRISH » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:48 am

[quote="Mally"]Favorite cooking appliance is electric wok. Wouldn't be with out it. Quick stir fries , stew and casseroles, deep frying, also combination rice cooker, slow cookers and steamer is great when going out for the day. The black BBQ plastic sheet for the community BBQ are great for cooking, no clean ups before and after. Great invention.
Quick wok recipe
500 gms chicken thighs cut up and stir fried
Small onion cut up
Pkt cheap French onion soup
Tin apricot nectar and few dried apricots
Throw into wok stir for a few mins done
Cook outside and sure to bring some stare bears!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

You old stirrer you!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Neville

Return to “Cook's Corner”