Opinion from another forum

For Q&A's about the website structure and performance
Old Techo

Opinion from another forum

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Today I clicked on another forum and noticed this post. Parts of it remind me of similar comments I've seen made here. I wondered if every forum eventually attracts similar genuine comments?

The poster wrote, quote....

I have been a member of this forum for a number of years and while I seldom post, I regularly read and enjoy the majority of posts.

Today I asked a genuine question that resulted in the post being deleted and subsequent question as to why also being deleted. I did recieve a very short reply from an administrator but it was of no real substance or rellivance to my question,more an accusation of wrongdoing.

If I was a contributor that regularly caused issues by flouting the rules I could understand the censorship but this is not the case.

Very sadly It has evolved that some on this forum are rude, belligerent, opinionated and overawed by their own misguided self importance.. this makes it uncomfortable for the majority that are interested in caravaning in general from asking genuine questions or gaining accurate worthwhile information, without being belittled, ridiculed or given so much irrelevant and incorrect information that they are never heard from again.

This may be the cause of the drop in the contributions by some long term members and the increase in "one of posts" from new members that has become obvious over time, as people are tired of the same old rhetoric from the same protagonists.

Over the years I was always interested to meet members during our travelles, now I have come to the conclusion that these members are those we avoid at campsites not the ones we enjoy the company of.

This has all led me to question the relevance of this forum some of its members and those that are ment to moderate it.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo

Re: Opinion from another forum

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Yep , Food for thought alright.
I reckon its better to answer a question with out denigrating some one else personally.

I know that I have come in with a certain opinion on a matter and then made a complete turn around due to other views. You can't do that if you come out swinging and do a personal "I'll show you".

It also pays to be able to roll with the punches without getting too upset....that's the hard part.

As far as moderators go, it is the hardest job around and unenviable one.

I know as a golf rules official with the Vic Golf association, I was always on a hiding to nothing. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:31 pm

I PMed that particular member and had a good old chin wag with him
We are both dismayed with the way that particular forum has gone, as have many others, I earnt myself a 1 month holiday for (questioning admin) as I said in another thread
BUT this forum has had irs ups and downs as well for different reasons, if we keep it the friendly place that it is then we have one over the other places (they are not the only caravaning forum ruled with an iron fist)
Lets keep the status quo

Btw I now rarely post on ther, just look in and that's it

Engel

Post by Engel » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:01 am

dieseltojo wrote:
As far as moderators go, it is the hardest job around and unenviable one.

I know as a golf rules official with the Vic Golf association, I was always on a hiding to nothing,. :)
As for moderators job being hard I would question that as they never leave unless they fall out with the owners so they must like the power otherwise you could walk away.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:39 am

I was a little surprised when Admin served me a 'yellow card' about my initial post. Further.... to avoid a 'red card' I should properly credit the source of the comment I quoted so that interested members may read the original item and in its full context. In this case my bush lawyer instinct disputes the Admin view but I don't make or interpret the rules of this forum so I shall abide direction.

Firstly, I shall explain my position. My intended context was the much discussed lack of active posters here and reasons for same. I saw the post I quoted as a general forum whinge of which part of expressed a view I've seen expressed here. Perhaps the claimed 'boy's club syndrome' is a key aspect. I wanted to show that our forum was not alone in that regard. The source material was merely a good example to use here and not intended as any reflection on the source.

Admin also cautioned me about copyright consideration when posting any material from other sources. A copyright breach would bite their bum rather than mine. Fair enuff. Out of respect for their judgement I will provide more info however I still disagree with this aspect in this instance. I have a habit of posting items from other sources and normally include a reference or more often an actual link to the item. In this instance I deliberately did not identify the source purely out of respect for the forum concerned. I had no wish to identify the author or embarrass said forum, after all I am also a member there.

As for copyright aspects I can't agree (bush lawyer again) because the info I copied is in the 'public domain', as I see it. Although I am a member of this forum anyone can access and read the post in question... https://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.p ... &p=1045570

One does not have to become a member to access the above linked material. I therefore argue that it is public property, much the same as all posts on this forum and many others. I claim that public property does not need to be acknowledged, credited or referenced, whatever the right word is - unless perhaps there are intellectual rights considerations. Further, I logged into caravanners and did a search for the word 'copyright'. In the rules there are some mentions of it but only in regard to posting on caravanners. I admit I did not do an exhaustive search.

I accept there are always risks in making 'bush lawyer' judgements and with apols to Admin I hope I have now adequately adhered to expected protocol :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

loub

Post by loub » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:50 pm

All sounds like double talk to me. :razz:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi OT, as someone who fiercely defends my copyright of text and photos because I have had work pinched too many times (that I know of), I refer you to these documents from Australian Copyright Council. Darn, I can't attach .pdf but I can email them to anyone interested.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:01 pm

G'day MH,

Yes, I can understand your defence of your own work on your website. A great deal of time and effort goes into the production of such material.

I expect that most websites carry appropriate warnings about copyright rules. In those instances copying without authority is straightforward theft.

What is quite unclear to me is the status of posts on a forum. I've unsuccessfully argued here that posts available to all and sundry are clearly in the public domain, thus not subject to copyright.

You have my email address MH so would you kindly send me a copy of your documents and if there is a specific area you feel may apply to my Admin deemed failing please point it out :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 pm

About to go out now OT but I will email tonight. These are specifically to do with social media and forums. What we write on forums is still copyright, as with posting photographs.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi OT, just a couple of thoughts.

I have heard the Boys Club arguement before, but as MH has your email address perhaps to be PC it should bd refered to as a PersonsClub ;-)

Now as a technical person you may have some idea as to whether Admin has the facilities to extract the number of members who log on per day, averaged over a week?

If so perhaps you could use your influence to have such data disclosed.

If it turns out to be the Persons Club and I am guessing 6 to 10 members, then some thought needs to be given to this.

However if therd are 20 or more that log on then there has to be some more general interest in the background.

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Return to “Website Matters”