Location and Caravan

For Q&A's about the website structure and performance
Cyclone

Location and Caravan

Post by Cyclone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Is it possible for admin to make it mandatory for members to include their demographic location and van type in their profile. There are far to many request for assistance where we need location and van discription. I am not requesting street address just nearest major town will do.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: Location and Caravan

Post by Frank & Brenda » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Like any other social media poeple have the right to say where they are and what they have ..... or not

If someone says can I please have help with XXXXXX and they don't put in where they are or what it is for

I ignore it, if everybody did the same, they'd get the message

Tony48

Post by Tony48 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:40 am

I can agree with the sentiment, but.
When one person asks a question the answer can often be of assistance to many others.
I am sure many have had questions and or concerns answered without posting.
Your answer to one persons question will most probably be of assistance to many others.
So please, don't keep your knowledge a secret! Share with us all.
I personally have found this forum to be of great assistance over the years.
Your reply/answer can easily be more refined with a simple request for further details.
New forumites are usually the perceived problem, mainly due to ignorance. Took me a while to refine my details when I first joined (a long time ago).
Having said that, I have no problem stating van make and location. Just not too sure where I'm going to be. :o
Safe and happy travels.
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:50 am

I believe that when people need help they should indicate to other forum members their approximate location; eg "I am on the north side of Brisbane wanting to find an auto electrician to fix my xxx problem".
What does that give away?
For those on the road permanently or semi permanently add "current location is..........."
Again that does not give away much information.
As far as making it compulsory to provide all your information, I say no, not necessary, unless you want help/advice.
glanyard

Mally

Post by Mally » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Totally agree I see people post it's raining and I have no idea where they are. Also I have made a few friends via the forum when I gave passed through their towns. Just PM them and made the connection. Had coffee with a forumite yesterday found out some time ago from his location he lives in the same area.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 pm

As there are new members that may not be Forum savy. I think ignoring the is not the way to go. And I take on board that some would rather not disclose their location.
So how about this idea. When a member post for the first time in the introduction thread there are always messages from some members welcoming them to the forum. At this point one of us could put a note with some tips after the welcome. Something like this:- Tip, if you ask for advice you will get a better response if you post your location and make and model of the equipment or van you are seeking advise for.

Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Tony48

Post by Tony48 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:01 am

Cyclone wrote:As there are new members that may not be Forum savy. I think ignoring the is not the way to go. And I take on board that some would rather not disclose their location.
So how about this idea. When a member post for the first time in the introduction thread there are always messages from some members welcoming them to the forum. At this point one of us could put a note with some tips after the welcome. Something like this:- Tip, if you ask for advice you will get a better response if you post your location and make and model of the equipment or van you are seeking advise for.

Sid
Looking for the thumbs up emoticon, (I know Franks got em). :D
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Return to “Website Matters”