getting hi jacked by ads

For Q&A's about the website structure and performance
Badger

Re: getting hi jacked by ads

Post by Badger » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Well, this is my screen with Adblock running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BADGER'S Australian Caravan Park Reports
Over 9,000 reports - it's free, no need to join. Go ahead - make your stay!
See ACPR on facebook

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:49 pm

After I thought C&M were very clever to block that annoying flashing "One new item" message, it is the bottom of screen advert today on almost every screen I look at. I know another site who has blocked it and it keeps on coming back. Similarly I have blocked URLs of "inappropriate" advertising on my own website and they come regardless :-x
tn_1newmsgCandM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

earthbound

Post by earthbound » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:28 pm

It is an advert... Always consider everything shoping up in that top banner area to be an advert and ignore it. The owners of the forum do not get to chose what advertising they want to show in there, google decides what gets shown and google generally decides what adverts to show you, by analysing your search history and browsing history.

Also keep in mind for all those people installing advert blocking software, that you are stopping revenue for the people who provide the forum and website. I have a couple of forums myself and I rely on the advertising revenue to pay for hosting and maintenance on the forums and websites. If everyone used advert blockers, I could not provide the free forums and I'd have to close them down.

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi Earthbound

While those who work with websites and Google advertisement understand, many readers do not, and think the managers chose the advertisements. I posted as a follow up to the posts following this one
L&CA wrote:Hi There,

When I loged on today I had a message in a envelope in the header part next to the caravan & motorhame on tour part.

I opened the message and it was a scam from the USA for a $3000 holiday but was promoting time share in Olando Florida.

How come the forum is allowing this form of rip offs.

Cheers Lindsay

It did seem that C&M were able to block this advertisement for a while, but it did not last.

While website managers can block URLs with Google, Google seem to take little notice, and complaints on the Google forum indicate that I am not alone in being unable to prevent blocked advertisements from appearing, something which I usually only find out about when someone writes to me and tells me of these totally inappropriate, and offensive to some, advertisements.

If from your experience you have found a way, please let me know.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Return to “Website Matters”