Last visit was: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 am
View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts

[ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Building My Home Made Caravan by JR 

Post Re: Building My Home Made Caravan by JR
Ripper - thanks for that.

I guess the chassis idea is like the Alko one on Bailey/Jurgens etc, or the Aerolite. The main difference will be the high strength integrated body structure, where every exterior panel, internal panel, such as benches, kick boards, dividers etc all are structural and bonded to each other. The Euro vans seem to rely a lot on the external panels, but have screw on internals, plus a few bulkheads. What I'm envisaging is a low tech version of the big RTM van that Kratzmann produced, but rather than having expensive molding processes, use more readily available materials.

Darren

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:32 am Profile

Post Re: Building My Home Made Caravan by JR
Hi again Darren,
Most vans really on their interior cupboards and the like to give the van body structural strength, that’s the reason I added an arch in my van to increase structural strength.

Many years ago I did major mods to my old Jayco pop top and removed many cupboards to carry out the work, one side of the van was quivering and shaking until the cupboards were refitted. Don’t know if you have seen one of those demolition derbies on TV with caravans but usually the interior has been stripped out and it is easy to see how weak they are as the body swings and sways and that is before they are hit.

Even though you are looking at building a van much different to mine just drop me a PM any time you need any information that I may be able to help with.

JR
:razz:

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:08 am Profile
 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13