Cad programs

BlueSkies

Cad programs

Post by BlueSkies » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Looking for some advice on using cad to draw up plans for our 19 foot caravan we are going to build ourselves.
I noticed some of you used this and was wondering how easy it is to use and also where can I get it.
We have settled on a layout and shape for our van but I think I need more detail than I can put in a pencil drawing.

Thanks in advance
Greg.
Regards and safe happy wandering
Toni & Greg
Blue Skies

J.REEVES

Re: Cad programs

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Greg,
CAD programs do need some time to get a handle on them.

I used a program called PC CAD (about $100.00) which is probably no longer available but that was more than ten years ago so there should be better stuff out there now. Some programs could have a couple of tutorials for you to do to get started but I personally only used one third of what is available in PC CAD. Also there could be help on the net and tutorials on say how to draw a square with rounded corners or link certain items.

Auto CAD is the big time program but it costs lots.

It is handy to buy a program that is compatible with Auto CAD as if you need any item profile cut the main cost can be getting the item drawn up so the profile cutting machine can produce the shape from the Auto CAD drawing.

CAD programs use a system called layers so you can draw say the chassis or the RHS wall frame and turn that layer on or off so you don’t have the screen overloaded with too much as it would become to cluttered.
I used a matrix scale of 0.5mm but you can scale the drawing to any scale so you can zoom in to a screw or zoom out and look at the full chassis.

I am sorry I did not learn to include 3D but it is not accentual.

You may find a program that may already have many standard items in its tools like a WC or a stove there may even be a program that is designed for drawing caravans.

Yes drawing your van build on CAD makes building a caravan much more precise and everything fits.

Years down the track you may find that you will need to do mods like fit another solar panel so all you do is get the computer out and locate the roof frame drawing layer and you will be able to locate the appropriate beams to screw the solar to, no guess work involved.

JR
:razz:

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:04 am

I used a cad program years ago to draw home alterations, extensions, etc and I agree with JR, they take a lot of mastering.
For a one of Caravan build, I suggest you forget it.

My suggestion is to see as many vans as you think suit you, and incorporate their ideas into your own van.

I mean once you have a frame built you are essentially making a van to suite your dimensions. And that includes any errors you made in dims along the way.
Any way, that was my method and many design problems will be sorted as you go. Essentially you are building a box on wheels, and the componentry is more important than having a picture of your intentions.

That's how it hits me, but we all have a different way to go about it. :)

I sold the vans and trailers I built, and finished up buying the Avan, as I ran out of will to build a bigger family van. Then Darn it, I started to alter it as well...... :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:44 am

Download the free version of Sketchup, lots of videos on youtube to show you how to use it.

Not saying that it's the best, or most powerful program available, but it is a free way to start out and see if it's for you.

Personally I hate it. Much prefer a combination of planning things out on graph paper and winging it when I'm making something.

I'm time poor, so spending 3x as long as it will take me to build build something to draw it on the computer first is a waste for me.

Whichever way you go, before you start designing make sure you do some research into the stock dimensions of whatever materials you intend to use to avoid uneccessary joints and wastage.

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:21 pm

+1 sketchup. Only used it for half an hour but very easy and free.
I use Autocad daily, wouldn't recommend for beginners

George G

Post by George G » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:01 pm

I have also used auto cad since 1995 for house plans. I would not recommend it for a one off project. Very time consuming to learn and set up, plus expensive to buy. I would investigate the other options mentioned.

George G

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 am

I also use AutoCad mainly for hydraylic services designs and house plans, but at my age use AutoCad 2000 on my old computer that runs XP.

Don't want to fork out thousands for a newer version for Windows 7.

Having said that, would tend to agree with DT, and suggest graph paper.

with graph paper you will draw it just as quickly as AutoCad, as long as you know what you want.

Cad is great for editing.

I got up to about version 15 on my current house, but each one uses the same Site Plan, Contour and Existing Services layers.

As JR said you draw everything on different layers. Think a of a stack of transparencies each with a different theme and you can just have a single one or as many as you like.

Good Luck with the project.

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

MikeL

Post by MikeL » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:58 am

Gentlemen,

Here a good free CAD software called Draftsite, the links below are for the 32 bit version & the 64 bit version

https://draftsight.en.softonic.com/download

http://download.cnet.com/DraftSight-64- ... 55080.html

I used them before retirement in conjunction with full 3D AutoCAD software.

The Draftsite was used to convert newer versions of drawings in AutoCAD that could not be opened by our earlier version of AutoCAD.

Hope it can help
Regards,

MikeL

2011 Pajero GLS 3.2L
Regent "Clare" 17'6" single axle van.

BlueSkies

Post by BlueSkies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I have decided to do it the simple way and just use my pencil drawings. I have already finished the build at least a dozen times and every time is different. In my mind that is :roll:
Thanks again.
Greg
Regards and safe happy wandering
Toni & Greg
Blue Skies

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 am

Hi Greg,
Yes I would spend hours trying to draw with CAD but once I got a handle on it found it is much better than the old ‘T’ square.

Most of my learning was carried out at 3:00AM in the morning back when I worked for a living.
As a rough estimate time taken to building a van for me broke down to 30% drawing and weight measuring, 30% finding parts and getting them and 40% building.

Tojo’s, suggestion is good look at vans for ideas and measure many things like how much clearance between the kitchen bench and table for two people to pass each other or how high is the kitchen bench or table. Sit at the table and maybe you may decide to add another inch or two to table height, make sure the overhead cupboards are deep enough for what your wife needs to place in them.
I am not so sure about sorting design problems as you go as sometimes you end up with a compromise.

Mike,
I have down loaded your suggested DraftSight free CAD program and had a quick look.
DraftSight loaded my old PC CAD drawings and is much quicker than PC CAD and on the surface looks like it is better but have not looked at it to closely.

JR
:razz:

Return to “Building and Renovations”