caravan corner trims

shipwreck

caravan corner trims

Post by shipwreck » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi all.
So in my ongoing saga that is my caravan rebuild (never again!).. Ive had to rebuild the frames on the right hand side front and rear due to rot. Cladding is all back on and now it seems the truline moulding wont cover the cladding in a few areas and also a bit of the timber framing is exposed. Guessing a few mm out either end in the framing has caused the problem. I cant see any type of similar trim online that has a bigger lip to cover the gaps.
Is there another type of trim I can replace all 4 corners with or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could remedy this. I was thinking aluminium angle but then how would you bend it around the corners and also attach it if not using screws? And then screws couldnt be covered by the rubber strip and could cause possible leaks.
I am seriously ready to move this project on..but weve spent a bit of money and the kids are keen to go away in it..but they arent the ones who have spent countless hours getting the van to this stage!
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Shaggy Dog

Re: caravan corner trims

Post by Shaggy Dog » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Shipwreck,
Cut some cladding into strips and bond them to the edges with a good quality adhesive then attach your moulding over the strips.
You would need to make the strips wide enough to have sufficient grip on the underlying skin so as to attach the moulding securely.
A doubler if you like.
SD
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

shipwreck

Post by shipwreck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Shaggy Dog wrote:Shipwreck,
Cut some cladding into strips and bond them to the edges with a good quality adhesive then attach your moulding over the strips.
You would need to make the strips wide enough to have sufficient grip on the underlying skin so as to attach the moulding securely.
A doubler if you like.
SD
Cheers SD... thinking now I can buy 2 new lengths of cladding and cut them to size so it meets the edge of the frame and covers the gap..or replace the whole lower section with chequerplate..but then Ive gotta do the other side aswell!!

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:35 pm

To do it properly, start again with the framing

Otherwise play with the cladding a bit but make sure there are no possible leaks, lots of polyurethane!!!

Run a tape measure over the van, make sure that it's not over 2.5m wide or you'll be needing permits everywhere you go!

Return to “Building and Renovations”