recycling shower water

Manjimike

recycling shower water

Post by Manjimike » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:04 am

I did a search with 'recycling shower water' but nothing suitable came up.

Does anyone recycle their shower water (NOT kitchen water) for use with flushing the toilet?

Any links, diagrams would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike
VK6MB
3/15 BT-50 Dualcab
Looking at Bushmaster Bluegum

TeddyGQ
Location: Shepparton, VIC 2004 7.3 litre F250 Supercab Ute. Supreme Elite 23'6

Re: recycling shower water

Post by TeddyGQ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:38 pm

Interesting question but realistically, why bother. Awful lot of trouble for the result.

In a house mounted toilet you need to flush to remove the waste from the "S" bend and to clear the system. In fact the 2 stage toilet cisterns should only be used on a half flush when men do their number ones. If you use toilet paper at all the full flush should be used.

In a caravan, you open the hole and in it goes. The small amount of water, would have to be less than 200ml should only be needed to give the bowl a quick clean, you don't need to use a couple of litres, 3 litres I think in a standard toilet for a half flush, to achieve a result.

Personally, and there are going to be the naysayers, I wouldn't or couldn't be bothered.

Bob

dogbox

Post by dogbox » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:44 am

would depend on the water situation if in short supply an hard to come by use shower water to wash clothes ,flush toilet if your real desperate boil it filter it an reuse it but if water is that tight showering would be a low priority

Manjimike

Post by Manjimike » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:18 am

TeddyGQ wrote: In a caravan, you open the hole and in it goes. The small amount of water, would have to be less than 200ml should only be needed to give the bowl a quick clean, you don't need to use a couple of litres, 3 litres I think in a standard toilet for a half flush, to achieve a result.
Bob
Thanks Bob,
we had a porta-potti in the last caravan, but didn't realise the ensuite loos were the same, so as you say minimal water usage (we never ran out of water with ours)

Cheers Mike
VK6MB
3/15 BT-50 Dualcab

Manjimike

Post by Manjimike » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:28 am

dogbox wrote:would depend on the water situation if in short supply an hard to come by use shower water to wash clothes ,flush toilet if your real desperate boil it filter it an reuse it but if water is that tight showering would be a low priority
Thanks DB,
we are used to conserving water, and now I also understand the loo doesn't use much.
I am considering a small 'holding tank' for the shower that can be used immediately for the washing machine instead of going into the greywater tank.

Cheers Mike
VK6MB
3/15 BT-50 Dualcab

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:30 am

When bush camping we save the shower water for the toilet, washing machine and for giving the tow and at times the van a wash.
Also minimise water wastage with a 5 litre ice cream container for washing up. When finished, then just trickle a cup of water over the dishes and bingo sparkling clean. Our sink would hold 15 litres of water. Getting harder to get " free" water these days.
In Rockhampton at a servo we needed 100 litres of petrol and water, so asked the staff if it was a deal or no deal. We left with full tank of petrol and water.
During rain, don't forget to recycle water from the awing.
Jay&Dee

jessdogster

Post by jessdogster » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:39 am

Jay&dee wrote: During rain, don't forget to recycle water from the awing.
Jay&Dee
https://www.freerangecamping.com.au/rai ... er-review/

I got one of these + some extra gutter clips - great piece of kit for collecting water - when it does rain :roll:
I got an extra length of hose which will run into a jerry can. Whilst I can make the review websire work, I can't make the original website work.
cheers
Jdog

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Jessdogster,
What a great idea, thanks mate.
Jay&Dee

Return to “Building and Renovations”