build a caravan

TramcarTrev

Re: build a caravan

Post by TramcarTrev » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:42 am

Jayco 240V wiring is double insulated round cable and exposed in as much as it does not run thru the wall. Has specially designed plugs which plug into the rear of the powerpoints....
This eliminates the need for skilled tradies to run it, the loom is simply installed by whoever has the job onn the day...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:06 am

Claws wrote:Don't think that is correct OT. I have a damaged 2013 Track Topaz that has black three strand round cable with what appears to be computer style 240v plugs that plug into the gpo units. I'll see if I can get some pics and post them.
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

By GPO wiring I mean the permanent cable that provides the power to the GPO that in a house only a sparky could legally run.

What you plug into the GPO must be flexible wiring. Said normal flexible wiring (like an extension cable) should not be clamped, loomed, coiled, covered etc as its current rating is based on being free to air for cooling.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Claws

Post by Claws » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Old Techo wrote:
Claws wrote:Don't think that is correct OT. I have a damaged 2013 Track Topaz that has black three strand round cable with what appears to be computer style 240v plugs that plug into the gpo units. I'll see if I can get some pics and post them.

By GPO wiring I mean the permanent cable that provides the power to the GPO that in a house only a sparky could legally run.

What you plug into the GPO must be flexible wiring. Said normal flexible wiring (like an extension cable) should not be clamped, loomed, coiled, covered etc as its current rating is based on being free to air for cooling.
Yes mate I know what you are talking about, I'm a builder by trade. The cable runs through the van and plugs into the side of the gpo unit at the rear behind the wall. It uses a flat 3 prong plug...

Judging from the above post it appears Jayco are also using the system.
97 petrol 80 series GXL Landcruiser
94 16' tandem Supreme Getaway off roader

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Claws wrote:
Old Techo wrote:

Yes mate I know what you are talking about, I'm a builder by trade. The cable runs through the van and plugs into the side of the gpo unit at the rear behind the wall. It uses a flat 3 prong plug...

Judging from the above post it appears Jayco are also using the system.
Yes Jayco are using a 3 core flex system. It has propriertry plugs on the wires and likewise sockets on the GPO's. Its claimed to be far cheaper and safer. The wiring is visible there fore has to be deliberatly pierced to cause damage. i.e. you cant drive a screw into it as its not hidden behind the wall paneling... Jayco are no longer required to issue certificates of electrical testing ( since 2011) as the wiring looms are tested at the point of manufacture, the whole system has been designed to be assembled by skilled but uncertified labour. Its a problem if you want to add a powerpoint as though Jayco will sell you a powerpoint getting hold of the other fittings is your problem, if a section of the loom is dammaged Jayco will replace that section...

There are no power points on external walls, they all conveniently sit just on the bench top ( wiring comes up from underneath) or if on an internal wall eg under the bed then the rear of the powerpoint has a cover with tamper proof screws and the only thing you can see is the wire dissapearing inside.
DSCF1571 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blogs;

robali

Post by robali » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:14 am

The 240v that Jayco use is a diy 240volt system that anyone can use except for the fitting off to rcd cheers Robert.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:24 pm

In the context of the OP I stand by my claims. Rigid white cable is used to power GPOs and flexible cable may not be used.

The OP asked about the use of flexible orange HD cable. My reply included all conventional flexible cables designed to be used as extension cables and they may not be used to provide power to a GPO.

TT, thanks for the explanation and the pic..... but I still don't understand.

- what type of wire is used behind that GPO?
- where do those black cables go and what do they do? I mean precisely what is on the end of them? Do they power another GPO that is fixed to a wall?

I've never heard of the Jayco wiring system but it must be within the rules and need specially made cable with more copper to address the heat aspect.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Ok the wire is flex. it has 3 cores with Blue brown and green insulation around the cores respectivly, then around each of those there is a white layer and around that there is (in my van a beige) outer coating. Its simliar diametre to HD 15 amp flex, its held in place usually in the corners, or wall floor junctions with clips.... Though it fully exposed its not easy to damage. Each length of this flex is terminated with a flat plug which either fits into a power outlet or a junction box.
The wire from the 240V inlet on the side of the van also has a plug on each end one end terminates at the RCD which on my van is obviously a special designed to accept the plugs.

Maybe it has more copper in it but the cost of this would easily be ovetrtaken by ease of installation and not needing a licenced sparky to do (or supervise/inspect) the install....

Yes so Jayco must have either found a loophole or had the wiring code adapted to suit this system which of course is a flow on from Jayco USA.

I cant seem to find any explanation on the net either so I cant refer you... But phone Jayco they will tell you all about it.

The heat aspect is something I dont get on with. Let me express it this way; if you have cabling inside an insulated caravan wall and that cable gets hot where does the heat go? If you have cable that is outside the wall in "free air" and it gets hot where does the heat go? I can see that in the second case the heat would radiate into the air...
Blogs;

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:57 pm

TramcarTrev wrote:The heat aspect is something I dont get on with. Let me express it this way; if you have cabling inside an insulated caravan wall and that cable gets hot where does the heat go? If you have cable that is outside the wall in "free air" and it gets hot where does the heat go? I can see that in the second case the heat would radiate into the air...
I'm not a sparky so this is my lay understanding...

Rigid twin white with earth (TPS) commonly has 2 sizes. 1 mm of copper for running lights (I think rated at 6 amps) and 2.5 mm of copper for running GPOs.

A standard GPO is rated at 10 amps but several GPOs may hang off a single run of 2.5 mm cable. There are heavier sizes but 2.5 mm would be the minimum for feeding GPOs.

TPS has enough copper to keep heat generation low enough that it can be run in cavities, conduit and be clamped to a wall. Flexible cable used for extension cords are typically only 1 mm of copper yet rated at 10 amps. At capacity they generate more heat (per metre) because of less copper (higher resistance) and designed to be air cooled. You will always see a warning on an extension cable about ensuring they are not left coiled during use.

The current rating issue could be addressed by using heavier flexible cable, thus no heat issue, but I still recollect that flexible cabling should not be run as fixed cabling or be clamped.

Sid..... where is ya?? We need an expert :D
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Old Techo wrote: Sid..... where is ya?? We need an expert :D
Just as long as Old toast 123 dosent take that as a cue to rejoin.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blogs;

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:39 pm

As said Jayco use this DIY system:
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/prod ... g8q0p4efo1
They are using some kind of flex cable with plug and socket fitted and the rear of the power points are fully insulated.
1.jpg
JR
:razz:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Building and Renovations”