Suburu Forester Towing

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
PeterD

Re: Suburu Forester Towing

Post by PeterD » Wed May 10, 2017 4:29 pm

snowycarter wrote: we have a camper trailor and we are thinking of upgrading it to a van just woundering what vans can be towed by the forester and any sugestions would be appreciated oh and it must be offroad as well
As I see it you have two choices if you wish to upgrade to a van.

1.. Forget the idea of off road. There is not much to offer in the way of black top vans that your tug can handle. True off road vans will be 50% heavier than black top models. That will put them way out of your league.

2.. If you do wish to tow off road then stick to the camper trailer.

In addition to what I said above, the light weight European vans are OK to tow into national parks and the like providing there is only a few kilometres of bad stuff. They will all survive good gravel roads like out to Birdsville. Just forget tackling things like the Great Central Road unless it had been fairly recently graded, the Tanami Track or the road to the Cape.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

snowycarter

Post by snowycarter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:19 am

Hi Jock
the suburu is an autoits I brought it in 2011 but badged 2010

someone suggested a offroad Jayco swan outback what do you guys recond and do they come with a shower or toilet at all?
hope this helps more
thanks
Rob

blackmo

Post by blackmo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:20 am

Peter - This is where you enter The chicken or the egg syndrome. We had a 2007 Subaru Forester Auto and we had a 15 Ft poptop van which weighed 1430 Kilos. The Subaru could legally tow 1400 kilos, so in order to avoid the risk of insurance refusing to cover the Subaru in the event of a claim, we bought an Nissan Xtrail auto which could legally tow 2 tonne with 200 kilos download on towball.
My advice is to look at the possibility of further upgrades of vans in the years to come and your need for a suitable vehicle to legally tow a caravan of your choice otherwise like me we had to buy a new tow vehicle when we upgraded to a suitable caravan which makes is very expensive.
Peter
Peter & Robyn
Royal Flair 21'
Prado GXL Auto

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:26 pm

snowycarter wrote: someone suggested a offroad Jayco swan outback what do you guys recond and do they come with a shower or toilet at all?
Rob
First of all, download the brochure. Go to this page. Down near the bottom is a button "Download PDF," when you click on that there is a popup window requesting some details. Don't fill them in, just click on "Download" and store the file somewhere in your documents folders.

When you view the brochure you will find that the Swan OB is 1300 kg tare. The only camper under 1100 kg in OB form is the smallest (Swift.) All of the touring models have tare weights under 1100 kg. The brochure indicates that none of the campers have any en-suite facilities.
PeterD

jock

Post by jock » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Over the years, I have noticed a few wind up type campers that do have a toilet and shr....I think Golf currently have one or two at this time...Probably find that they dont come within your 1400 ATM limit though.
I'm sure that you will find one that does....a separate 'quickie erect' shower tent complete with porta-potti and 12v shower is also worth considering.

Jock :)

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:34 pm

The Jayco Flamingo Outback ( same dimensions as the Swan) comes with the option of onboard shower/toilet.
Why you would bother is the question as it's such a small cube it would not be a pleasurable experience !
Live For Today

snowycarter

Post by snowycarter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I do have a cube hot water system that I have for the camper I have now
rob

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Should have said shower/toilet space...not cube.
Live For Today

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Archer63 wrote:The Jayco Flamingo Outback ( same dimensions as the Swan) comes with the option of onboard shower/toilet.
It's not mentioned in the brochure. Where do we get the information?
PeterD

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:11 am

Look up Jayco Website - Camper Trailers - Flamingo - options.
Live For Today

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”