Suburu Forester Towing

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
snowycarter

Suburu Forester Towing

Post by snowycarter » Sun May 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi all
we have a camper trailor and we are thinking of upgrading it to a van just woundering what vans can be towed by the forester and any sugestions would be appreciated oh and it must be offroad as well
Thanks
Rob

Lance

Re: Suburu Forester Towing

Post by Lance » Sun May 07, 2017 8:31 pm

What year, model is the Forester ?
What does the manual say about towing weights ?
That of course is your first consideration.
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

snowycarter

Post by snowycarter » Sun May 07, 2017 9:57 pm

its a 2010 model forester

snowycarter

Post by snowycarter » Mon May 08, 2017 8:00 am

its a 2010 forester
max brake is 1400kg
unbraked is 750kg
max balldowload is 140kg
level susspention 110kg
the camper trailor has brakes
thanks
rob

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon May 08, 2017 10:18 am

If you want a reasonable off road van to tour this country, the first thing will be for you to upgrade your vehicle; one that can safely tow 2-2.5 tonne at least.
Don't take the vehicle and caravan sellers word that "you'll be all right, mate"; they just want to make a sale.
Research, research, research!
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Mon May 08, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Rob,
Lighter the better, as that 1400 is the top weight and the car will struggle up hills going any higher.
I would want to hire some thing for a first time out if unsure, and sail around your area to try it. Plenty of big hills about your way. :)

http://newagecaravans.com.au/caravan/11ft-gecko-shower/

Weights & Measurements - 2016 Models
LENGTH: INC. A-FRAME
5308mm
LENGTH: INC. BUMPER
5308mm
WIDTH: INC. AWNING
2500mm
AVG. HEIGHT: INC. A/C
2730mm
AVG. TARE WEIGHT:
1400-1450kg
AVG. TOW BALL WEIGHT:
140-160kg
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

A'van

Post by A'van » Mon May 08, 2017 11:32 am

About 40.000 $ I could tow that one with my car, looks good on paper anyway.

I like the toilet and shower bit, now i'm getting older.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

snowycarter

Post by snowycarter » Tue May 09, 2017 7:19 am

even pop tops would be good as well thanks for the advice

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Tue May 09, 2017 8:43 am

dieseltojo wrote:Hi Rob,
Lighter the better, as that 1400 is the top weight and the car will struggle up hills going any higher.
Rob, when you see something like that you must remember that there are many who think that if the tug drops back more than one gear when climbing hills then it is "struggling." I don't think many truckies think that way when they are climbing big hills slowly. They just think "this is a big hill and the rig is pulling well in low gear." The only time I consider my rig to be struggling is when I look like running out of lower gears to change down into. Yes you will be much slower on hills than when unloaded but to be told that this is because your Forester is struggling is just false information. If you are content to travel a bit slower up hills then you will get to your destination a few minutes behind the petrol heads and their huge motors.

Weights & Measurements - 2016 Models

AVG. TARE WEIGHT:
1400-1450kg
AVG. TOW BALL WEIGHT:
140-160kg
I would not be looking at that van. if the one you get has a tare of 1450 kg then your tug is overloaded before you put any loading into the van. If a salesman starts quoting tare weights of vans to you then tell him to bend over and you can show him where to put his vans. The magic figure to look for is the ATM. The ATM is the maximum allowable weight for a van when it is fully loaded.

Rob, when looking around, look for vans with an ATM less than 1400 kg. Some of the older rear entry vans would suit. If you can see a good Viscount Nipper then grab it. Some of their models had "Tare 680 kg" on the rear of them, that would give you an ATM of less than 1,000 kg. We had ons way back and towed it with a Toyota Corona. We did some great touring in it.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

jock

Post by jock » Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 am

Hi. Thought I'd buy into this post....firstly, very difficult to advise without knowing your budget.
As Hans has suggested, there are several new, small "light off-road vans" currently being produced. There are also several Hybrid off roaders available being manufactured by traditional camper trailer mnfrs. like MDC, Kimberley etc. These come very near to the full comfort of a caravan but, mostly, are quite expensive.

Another suggestion would be to have a look at what I've had since 2002....A windsor Rapid, Off Roader. Their small version expands'in seconds, to about 20' and gives you a double bed at each end, fantastic shelf space and very spacious ambience inside.

There are several other Expanda type vans on the road but Windsor have a patent on their expander system and no other brand can match the ease of erection and waterproof protection.

The "Off-Road" is probably not as rugged as some dedicated off-roaders like Kedron, Bushtracker etc. but again, you'd need to tell us what type of Off road stuff you envisage. My Rapid would easily do the Birdsville and Strzelecki tracks but I wouldn't take it up to Cape York and would think twice about the Gibb River road.

There are also several European type vans which would fit the weight criteria but with limited off-road ability..Jurgens are delving into off roaders and Bailey units also lay claim to rugged construction.

Is the Forester Auto or Manual?....My experience, as an ex Sales Manager for a Subaru Dealership, is that the earlier model manual version had a 'dicey' clutch and, although fine for normal roadwork, would not lend itself to manipulating a heavy weight thru sand and mud conditions.

Let us know more info..hope this helps..

Jock :)

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”