A potent tug

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Shaggy Dog

Re: A potent tug

Post by Shaggy Dog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:59 am

OT,
I have a need to go to Albany to have a bloke stab me in the starboard peeper with a needle, hopefully May will be the last, and no needle, visit.
Albany is 500K from Esperance, we usually overnight at a little place called Jerramungup, 300K from Esp and head the last 200K down to Albany the following day. Easy drive, bugger all traffic, a water hole every 100K or thereabouts. A little bit of wild life about the shop early mornings. I did dong a Roo in the Getz last year, it did quite a bit of damage but the little buggy kept going. Not the best sort of vehicle for roo donging.The roo jumped at a fortunate time and it went over the top as it was airborne when I hit it. Fortunately no van on the back on that trip.

Just as an aside and OT. My daughter was down here with her family a few weeks back. They drive a fairly recent model Navara with approx 100K on the clock. The transmission had a kark, big time, by the time it was all fixed, plus a service and timing chain replacement they did not have much change out of $9000. The vehicle has done little off road work and has never been pulling big loads. They are down this weekend to collect it.

All good, the sun is trying to make a showing here.
Take it easy.
SD
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

tar trekka

Post by tar trekka » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi there,

The Audi may have plenty of Grunt, but in my opinion, totally unsuitable for "Towing Around The Block".

Where do you get Service or Repairs when away from the Major Cities on the East Coast?

Audi Dealers Australia Wide:-

NSW 15
Vic 11
Qld 6
Tas 2
ACT 1
NT 1
SA 1
WA 1

That's why I choose Toyota.

I've "Caravanned" every State in Australia & Toyota Service has never been an Issue

Maybe there are "Better Tow Vehicles" than Toyota, but not a "Better Service Network", particularly when away from Major Cities.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:43 pm

A valid point TT, but......

In 13 years of towing with 2 Prados I have never once needed service or repairs. Perhaps that says a lot for Toyota reliability :D

I only go to a dealer for warranty items. When I do a long trip, like 19,000 kms around the west coast, I carry enough oil, filters and a grease gun. The trip to Cooktown needed an oil change but for any trip less than 6,000 kms I do an oil/filter change before leaving home.

I wouldn't count on an Audi having the same reliability but I do like the torque and a heap of auto gear ranges. I am quite disapointed that Toyota have not provided torque and ratios to match several common competitors :(
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

tar trekka

Post by tar trekka » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi OT,

I've had services only when travelling, particularly when Vehicle Under Warranty.

Prado 120 with 5,000 km service intervals was a pain.

Prado 150 with 10,000 kms is much better.

I find the Dealer Service expensive when Travelling, but "Convenient".

A few months ago, my 1968 MGB expired at a busy intersection in the "Friday Afternoon Peak Hour" & had to get "Tilt Trayed" home, "How Embarrassment" .

A ten minute fix, a loose connection behind the Ignition Switch.

I asked the "Towie" he picks up many "Older Cars".

"No Mate, Audis, followed by most European Brands".

Interesting reply?

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:48 pm

I have a friend that owns a BMW M7. Bloody nice car. BUT every time it rains he gets towed home. And he is not a happy chappie.
Our mate from Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson used to rave on about how good the Range Rover Is. I remember one show he said he would have nothing other than a Range Rove. Then said I have one exception to this. If I was in Australia I would only drive a Toyota Land cruiser or Nissan Patrol.
Sid
PS how you going Shags. I haven't seen you on here for a while.
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:19 am

Sid,
Going all right, hows about yourself.
I had a mate from a large drilling company say to me. "If you are going to run vehicles in the bush and have gorillas drive them there is only one vehicle and that is a Toyota Landcruiser."
Certainly a lot of Toyotas in our neck of the woods. Dunno about the gorillas.
Take it easy.
SD
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

nsgnomad

Post by nsgnomad » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 pm

I just saw an advert on TV for a new 4x4 just released onto the market. Has anyone done any research into what is the towing ability for the Maseratti Levante? :roll: Might just be able to afford it in another 30 years. :lol:

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”