Post by A'van » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Your new tug?

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

Shaggy Dog

Re: A potent tug

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:56 am

I become slightly embarrassed when I tell people our Tug is a Getz.
There should be a less macho name for little Tugs such as Tuglets or Tuggles.
SD
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

bigal42

Post by bigal42 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:08 pm

Price from $159000,you would want a good Tug for that price. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:48 pm

A'van wrote:Your new tug?
Fat chance Hans :shock:

I'm about $150k short :lol:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Shaggy Dog wrote:I become slightly embarrassed when I tell people our Tug is a Getz.
There should be a less macho name for little Tugs such as Tuglets or Tuggles.
G'day Mr Dawg :D

Yes, good point. Something diminutive. Perhaps borrow from the Froggies... Tugette?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 am

OT,
I must admit I did sneak out and buy a Commodore just before Christmas, not a new one but close enough.
Not specifically as a tug but I found the Getz was reducing my one hour arse down to half of that, the Commode is far more comfortable.
Sitting for more than one hour has always been an issue with me. My good wife reckons I have a bum the size of a four'penny rabbit, not designed for long range travel.
I was going to sell the Getz but I bought it for the NSB on Valentines day some 6 years ago. She shed a tear at this news so we still have the Getz, two cars, one driver. The Getz is now the shopping trolley and the Commode has a weekly amble, if its good.
Take it easy.
SD

South East Coast Westoz

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Shaggy Dog wrote:.... so we still have the Getz, two cars, one driver.
Shags, for most of my driving life I've had 2 cars for one driver. It began at a young driving age and I think I was influenced by the aviation industry where I spent all of my working life. All important systems had to have a back-up or two. Primary, secondary and if critical,a tertiary.

Despite being retired now for 17 years I get nervous unless I have at least 2 of everything important. This law stops at women.

There can be other reasons for multiple vehicles. My 2007 Prado is solely for towing the van. My daily hack is a 1996 Hilux, very handy for carting stuff and I don't care where I park it - even at a supermarket. Mrs OT has a 2011 Hyundai ix35 and she loves getting about in it and safely carrying gkids.

If an hour is your car sitting limit that is a bum deal. On our last leg home from Oodnadatta trip, Berri to Melb, I drove the 660 kms for 9 hours, less short breaks. Usually I suffer from back pains and/or shoulder pains but never a pain in the bum. That only occurs after we get home and have to begin the unpacking :roll: :(
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm

OT,
A goodly distance. Beyond my limit these days.
I could do long runs with a walk around from time to time to get the circulation back in the nether regions.
I used to do Kalgoorlie/Perth/Kalgoorlie which was around 14 hours round trip with a coffee break in Perth.
I did it on one occasion to collect an engine from Pratt and Whitney Canada. Montreal to be precise. Fronted up at Perth Airport only to find they had sent the engine to Perth Scotland. Climbed back into the ute and headed back to Kal empty handed and did it again about a week later but with an engine on the trailer on the way home the second time.
We had a soft sprung trailer so as not to damage the roller/ball bearings on the turbine engines.
I think my longest solo run was Alice to Ceduna to Perth in a bit over two and half days. Dirt road and cutting through that back road from Kingoonya to Wirrulla. Driving through the night.
Another bloody marathon was Kunnunurra to Esperance in about three days in an old series 3 Landy that had a gearbox we had cobbled up, a mix of a series 2 and 3. It had no reverse and no second gear. Either one or both werent fitted, cannot recall. Son and self driving dodging wildlife and stock for a good part of it as we ambled on through the days and night(s).
500 k a day is about my limit these days and even that is rare. Perth is 750 k away but I usually park up en route when we do that run.
Take it easy.
SD

South East Coast Westoz

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 am

Shags, certainly these days 300 to 350 km is my norm. We find we get to the next place far too early when well under 300 kays.

My especially long stints are only on the last day of a trip when home is the next destination, arrival time is of no consequence and no set-up is required.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”