Setting your car up to tow

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
shonky12

Setting your car up to tow

Post by shonky12 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:45 am

Hi

For you's that have got a ef/el/au 6 cyl especially with high mileage what have you's fitted to them to be able to pull a van without running hot or causing other problems

What temp thermostats do you's use? Some are known to use 82 deg

What size radiators? Some are known to use hd 2 row 32mm not the std 2 row 26mm

Also you need a large auto cooler too

Old Techo

Re: Setting your car up to tow

Post by Old Techo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 am

I had an EF Falcon 6 cyl sedan from 1995 until 2004 when I bought a used Prado for towing a 2400 kg van. From memory my EF had a tow mass limit of 1600 kg.

With the EF I didn't tow any vans but did tow a 1 tonne trailer from time to time.

I did regularly tow a single axle van with my 1969 Falcon GTHO.

If you stayed within the factory tow mass limits then no mods should be needed - in theory. However for towing in hot climates it may be wise to add an auto trannie cooler. I fitted one to my 2007 Prado. Also Ford may have had a towing radiator option. I can't remember but they always seem to have some heavy duty bits for taxis.

If your radiator is original (old) maybe an upgrade is worth doing anyhow. Certainly a proper full flush would be the minimum.

Forum member Rod tows with a Falcon and hopefully will chirp in with some good advice :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:41 pm

I used to tow a fairly large boat with an XD Falcon. I had a transmission oil cooler fitted.
I would first follow OTs advice and tow within the limits. See if anything gets hot. If all OK fine leave it alone. If not try a bigger radiator. I would not alter the thermostat temperature.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

NEVILLE & TRISH

Post by NEVILLE & TRISH » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Have been towing with a BF Falcon wagon since 2010 with no real dramas. I fitted a factory transmission cooler, an XR6 turbo radiator [slightly thicker] & added an extra leaf in the rear springs, nothing else. Other than regular transmission services all other servicing was done as normal. For the past 4 years have been towing a Jayco Sterling tandem pop top weighing around 2150kg's loaded & was quite happy the way it performed. Have just upgraded to a diesel Territory AWD but will miss the old girl.

Regards Neville...........
2012 Ford Territory Titanium diesel AWD
2012 18' Jayco Sterling pop top with shower / loo.

shonky12

Post by shonky12 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:56 pm

what would you do to get a ef fairmont with over 300000kms able to tow bigger loads without running hot or causing other problems before you can save up for a au engine conversion to replace the old engine

have a 32mm heavier duty 2 row jayrad radiator to fit which has surely got help alot already without doing other work most standard 2 row ef/el radiators are 26mm

what else can you do to make the e series fords better at not running hot towing

if youve bypassed radiator and got a 28x25x1.9cm auto cooler could you get away with one or you better with 2, the ba fg model theres a bypass kit which comes with hoses a 280x250x190mm oil cooler some brackets and clamps., could a ba kit be made to fit a ef wether you use the ba bracket or make some from flat bar

also will be fitting a au coolant tank so air bleed hoses go different way which will give room for a au fusible link box which has all relays and will wire radiator fans low speed all time and speed up when temp is about half just under not the factory 105 degrees which is nearly in red and its too hot

also will a hyundai santa fe diesel 4 cyl auto be able to pull a decent size van with std everything or you better upgrading radiator, the particular one may have a auto cooler

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”