ASC and ABS warning lights

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
masterplumber

Re: ASC and ABS warning lights

Post by masterplumber » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Archer63 wrote:
masterplumber wrote:
glanyard wrote:A'van,
That was a thought I'd had a long time ago but the situation hasn't presented itself yet; it may in the near future.
glanyard
Glanyard,
if you haven't got it sorted by the time you get home you could try this.

Bring your rig to Carina.

You can tow my van down the Gateway and see if the problem persists.

As an added check I could tow yours with my MU-X. Not a D-Max but same front end.

Regards
Gerry
That's a very nice offer MP....typical Carina boy generosity...even if a new one !
Previously from Birkdale, Redbank Plains, Goodna and Inala not to mention den Haag :D
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Old Techo wrote:
Old Techo wrote:If the indicator volts were leaking via the van to the brake lights (cancelling cruise) then you should see some weak flashing of brake lights. May need a test in the dark and look at the brake light on the opposite side to the flasher.
Glannie, I give you almost zero chance of dealer interest as they will blame the van.

Now, are you going to try my above test? Of course the issue needs to be present.

OT, please correct me if I am wrong with this theory.

The above could not occur if the van marker, stop, brake, etc, lights are LED, as they will only let current flow one way?

regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:55 pm

MP, your theory is correct, however, as a number of tugs will not operate LED trailer lights as they sense an inadequate load often a load resistor is fitted in parallel with each LED circuit.

As these load resistors emulate globe filament resistance then of course current will flow both ways.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi OT,
I wonder why a tug would have a problem as the van LED lights almost would not be seen by the tug, would not it be the other way around.
I was under the impression that a modern tug may have a problem with van lights if they were old filament lights as it will see to greater load on its system.

JR
:razz:

Rolex

Post by Rolex » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:53 pm

JR I believe you are correct.

I also believe the problem stems from the fact that modern vehicles continuously check that all their lights are functioning, they send a test pulse through the system and adding a trailer can cause a problem.

I have a friend of a friend with a Ford Ranger, when he got to my place he was towing a car tailer with LED lights, while it was parked I could see his tail lights were pulsing, only quite faint but a definite pulse, when I pointed it out to him he pulled contraption out of the back of the ute and plugged it into the 7 pin plug on the ute and then the trailer into the other end, the pulsing stopped.

He told me he had purchased the contraption from Ford for $300.

I think taking up the generous offer to try another van is a good place to start fault finding.
I'm not ready to be a adult
The adventure begins where the tar ends.
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home... to ride off alone.
When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:54 pm

JR, not a lot of time for replies as I'm packing my kitbag and my brain is elsewhere.

I think the issue is with some tugs fitted with a intelligent trailer light module/interface expects to see a certain minimum current flow and when it detects the low LED current regards and reports that as a fault.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Old Techo wrote:JR, not a lot of time for replies as my brain is elsewhere.
Women have been saying that about blokes for generations :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Rolex

Post by Rolex » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:37 pm

The fact that his cruise control will not set when he has the van on points to the CC thinking his brake lights are on, this could also point to a fault with the trailer lights ?
As a start
I would hook up the vans lights and check they are all functioning normally, pay particular attention when the indicators are flashing that there is no pulsing on the opposite side or other lights and when the brake lights are tested that the indicators or tail lights don't pulse, (looking for a bad earth)
I would try with the headlights on and off to see if there is a difference.
I would pull each power wire (not the earth) one at a time from the vans 7 pin plug and see if the problem persists.
Cheers
I'm not ready to be a adult
The adventure begins where the tar ends.
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home... to ride off alone.
When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:14 am

My van does not have LEDs for brake, parking or indicators.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi Glanyard, What sort of brake controller do you have.
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”