ASC and ABS warning lights

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
glanyard

ASC and ABS warning lights

Post by glanyard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:32 am

I have a 2014 D Max Ute and when towing my 'van I get amber warning lights indicating that ASC and ABS aren't working.
I have checked the wiring at the male and female plugs where the 'van is connected to the ute but all seems OK.
Has anyone had this problem on any brand tug and 'van, but in particular a D Max?
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Old Techo

Re: ASC and ABS warning lights

Post by Old Techo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 am

Glannie,

No idea so starting from scratch.

Is this a new and recent problem not seen before?

You say when towing.... is the fault constant and steady or does it come and go?

if it comes and goes, does that timing relate to engine revs, road shocks, stationary vs moving, anything else?

Do you normally tow with your tug lights on?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Those lights are controlled by the black boxes that control those functions. They are an indication that those functions are becoming active to assist you in controlling your vehicle. When you are towing there are greater stresses applied to your vehicle and those functions will activate more. If they are activating too much, particularly the ACS, it could mean some instability with your van.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:37 pm

PD, I understand that the ABS light is only a fail indicator and should never come on whilst driving unless the ABS is faulty.

The ESC light may flash when driving but if it stays on it is a fault indictor.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:15 pm

I can start off on a trip and the amber lights don't always illuminate immediately but could come on later, 10 minutes later, or an hour later. Sometimes they come on immediately after moving off for the day. There doesn't seem to be any pattern.
I always drive with my lights on when towing sometimes with just the parking lights but when the weather is inclement, I go for the main lights.
When they do come on, they stay on; no flashing etc.
This has been happening for two years now and I'm peed off. Some have blamed it on the caravan wiring, but it has been checked by different service people.
To throw another little spanner into this problem; when in cruise control and I wish to change lanes on a multi lane motorway, like Monash last Sunday, when I use the indicator lever, the cruise control is cancelled.
To my way of thinking there seems to be a "bug" in the on board computer.
Over to you, chaps!
glanyard

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Do both amber lights go on/off as a synchronised pair?

So it NEVER happens unless towing?

If so then can't ignore the van wiring, tug 7 pin wiring and brake controller.

For the turn indicator to cancel the cruise some leakage to the brake lights could do that.

I'm scratching around in the dark as I know nothing about the tug. A dicky earth connection on the tug or van wiring or between plug/socket can allow some leakage between functions.

If the tug was designed properly all of the trailer electrical functions would be driven by tug relays so there is no tug back-feed.

If the indicator volts were leaking via the van to the brake lights (cancelling cruise) then you should see some weak flashing of brake lights. May need a test in the dark and look at the brake light on the opposite side to the flasher.

My brain is hurting now (mostly from other jobs) so I'll wait for more info.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi Glanyard,
Camping at Swimcart Beach Bay Of Fires.

I know many vehicles these days need a black box which takes all the outputs from the tug before they go to the van. Kind of like a isolation box to stop any van stuff feeding back to the tug computer and confusing it. I fitted one to my daughter's FJ Landcruiser as we were told we needed it. Could have been just a box of relays for all I know. I just ran all the wires to it and then to the tug plug.

So would be worth talking to an auto electition.

JR
:razz:

jock

Post by jock » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:32 pm

I seem to recall you buying this unit not that long ago. I presume that it is still under warranty..If so, I think before taking it to an A.E. etc. Maybe best for you to take it to an Isuzu Service centre....Particularly if, indeed it is the computer gone cactus.

Jock :)

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Jock, I assumed (perhaps rashly) that Glannie had done the dealer thing and they blamed the caravan. They may be correct to do so if no fault appears without the van attached.

So I jumped passed all of that and began with factors foreign to the factory tug.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:16 pm

The warning lights come on together and it never happens when I'm not towing.
It is due for a 40000 km a service next Wednesday so I'll be bringing it up with them; this mob hasn't seen it previously.
I agree that it needs a good auto elect to go right over it but I'm reluctant due to the cost when it could be a warranty problem.
glanyard
PS JR; do you like the Bay of Fires area, we did.

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”