Jeep and proximity key

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Plumbum

Jeep and proximity key

Post by Plumbum » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:37 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/nort ... 4ce5b1dc0f

Saw this on the news last night and it was then reported that the key was 15 meters away from the Jeep.

Personally, I don't believe it as my proximity key must be with about 750mm to work.

Surely if it starts when the key is in the house, then it would be able to be unlocked when the key is in the house.

Has there been a recall for this fault, Mr Recalls ( OT )?

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: Jeep and proximity key

Post by Frank & Brenda » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:48 pm

I thought that once the car was out of range of the proximity key, the engine would stop

If not that is a blatant flaw, anyone could steal your car in a servo or anywhere near where you are

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 pm

I saw this too. I'm sceptical I don't believe the car will start unless the keys are within close proximity to the car. I have keyless start in the Prado. The Prado won't start unless the keys are less than a meter from the car.
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Frank & Brenda wrote:I thought that once the car was out of range of the proximity key, the engine would stop

If not that is a blatant flaw, anyone could steal your car in a servo or anywhere near where you are
No not a flaw. The Prado can be driven without the key once started. Apparently it some sort of safet measure ?
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Cyclone wrote:
Frank & Brenda wrote:I thought that once the car was out of range of the proximity key, the engine would stop

No not a flaw. The Prado can be driven without the key once started. Apparently it some sort of safet measure ?
Probably for people like me.

Very occasionally, I might want to move the MU-X and not have my key on me.

If the wife's handbag is nearby, I have grabbed it and put it on the front seat, to start it.

If I did that with someone in the front seat and the wife in the back, and she decided that she needed to look for something in said hand bag, the MU-X could come to a sudden stop if not for this feature.

I know that if I do have my key in my pocket and start the engine, and then decide to double check something at the rear of the tug, an alarm goes off just after I exit the drivers door.

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Plumbum wrote:Has there been a recall for this fault, Mr Recalls ( OT )?
I get an email notification for every recall and I usually post them first thing in the morning and there are none outstanding.

I don't remember any such issue but to be sure just search the recall topic using the word 'jeep' :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Its my understanding that keyless entry vehicles (including bikes) will NOT stop once started, if the key is out of range. I imagine a whole heap of warnings shoot up on the dash but I dont have experience - a fellow recounted a story about the freind of a mates brother in law who went for a ride one day on his new steed. Once started the key fell from his pocket onto driveway of the house, during a reversing manuevour. Understandable for harley riders.
Ol' mate then tootles off to the servo a half hour up the road where -apon finding no key fob- could not open his fuel tank. Or start his bike.
There is quite a danger in just stopping a vehicle electronically from a remote or unknown location, or without the consent of the driver. 99.9% sure its illegal to do, even for alarm systems. That said, the box showed a fellow in a stolen car have the engine stopped remotely within veiw of a police chopper overhead, presumably to advise when it was OK to do so.
So they shouldn't stop -they just wont re-start. Or let you back in.....

dnsoakeshott

Post by dnsoakeshott » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:56 pm

My key will only open the door if i am within a metre or so of the car. If i push the unlock button on the fob the car will open from about 10 metres.
Regards Dean

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
2014 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk 3ltr TD
Jayco Sterling 23' (23.72-1) 2009 with slideout

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 pm

dnsoakeshott wrote:If i push the unlock button on the fob the car will open from about 10 metres.
I'd expect it to open from much further than that. Maybe they have reduced the range for security reasons?

My 9 year old Prado fob will open the car at 200 metres line of sight.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:07 pm

C'mon OT, you cannot see 200m ;-)

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”