DPF issues with Mitsubishi Pajero's diesels

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Dustypair

DPF issues with Mitsubishi Pajero's diesels

Post by Dustypair » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:57 am

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying the latest Mitsubishi Pajero and would like to know if anybody is having any issues with the model and any other issues experienced with these vehicles when towing vans?
Thanks
Dustypair

J.REEVES

Re: DPF issues with Mitsubishi Pajero's diesels

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi Dusty,
Yes these Diesel Particulate Filters are a bit of a worry!

I am looking at the new Landcruiser two years to late as they now have a DPF. I believe they use a diesel injection system into the DPF to cook the filter to clean it and when this is happening I wonder how the fuel economy will be.

There are diesel service shops that have a DPF cleaning service and there are places that remove the filter and remap the ECU as it can tell if it is not there.
Naturally removing the DPF is not a legal thing to do.

Basically I would now not consider buying a small diesel vehicle but I still would buy the 4x4 for towing.

I have nothing to offer on the Mitsubishi, but now have had my little spit on the subject.

JR
:razz:

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:20 pm

J.REEVES wrote: There are diesel service shops that have a DPF cleaning service and there are places that remove the filter and remap the ECU as it can tell if it is not there.
Naturally removing the DPF is not a legal thing to do.

Yes true the Mitsubishi ones don't seem the have the hassles others seem to have and the New Paj gets rave reviews. Jeep is notorious for the DPF's junking up and needing to be cleaned...

Yes is illegal to remove the DPF but (and I believe I have commented on this before) some Diesel places advertise that they do it in magazines. Its one of those things that if you take it out and the exhaust is professionally repaired with a replacement DPF that does not work who is going to know. I know a guy who wishes to remain nameless who had it done and it was not that expensive, the DPF itself is worth a lot of money and he exchanged the DPF partly for the work done.
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Dustypair

Post by Dustypair » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi JR,
I had a Nissan Pathfinder in 2008 with a DPF fitted.
I had heaps of issues and my fuel usage went from 17 ltr /100 to 25 ltr/100 on a trip from Dalby to Roma in Queensland .eventually they found a split in a sensor pipe after a year of batting my head with the dealer .
I thought Mitsubishi had removed the DPF in 2011 . Looks like they have replaced them
Regards
bruce

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Dustypair wrote:Hi JR,
I had a Nissan Pathfinder in 2008 with a DPF fitted.
I had heaps of issues and my fuel usage went from 17 ltr /100 to 25 ltr/100 on a trip from Dalby to Roma in Queensland .eventually they found a split in a sensor pipe after a year of batting my head with the dealer .
I thought Mitsubishi had removed the DPF in 2011 . Looks like they have replaced them
Regards
bruce
I believe the ADR's now require them...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

MikeL

Post by MikeL » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:27 pm

I do not know any thing about the DPF,

I have had a NT Pajero diesel 2011 model since new.

It has done 96000kms so far, the van has been towed by it for 36500 kilometres.

I have nothing but praise for the Pajero, it engine has plenty of power to tow our 2.2 tonne caravan.

On level ground we get fuel consumption of 15 litres / 100kms with the van on behind

Without the van we get around 7 litres / 100kms.
Regards,

MikeL

2011 Pajero GLS 3.2L
Regent "Clare" 17'6" single axle van.

Dustypair

Post by Dustypair » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:46 am

MikeL,
You have the lucky one . the NS pajero had a dpf and they took it out of the NS model due to issues with the DPF and redesigned the exhaust system to met the European standard without a DPF.
Shame the rest of them didn't do the same.
regards
Dustypair

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:10 pm

TramcarTrev wrote:I believe the ADR's now require them...
It's not a case of ADRs requiring a DPF, the vehicle emission specifications specify maximum permissible emissions of various waste products. Some manufacturers find that a DPF is the easiest way to meet the requirements. Removing the filter is modifying the motor such that it no longer satisfies the standards.

The biggest problem with DPFs is not vehicle specific. Its related to the vehicles use. If you are going to get the motor hot and run for a reasonable distance for most of your running then you will be OK. If you do a lot of city driving you are almost guaranteed to get problems, in that case get a petrol model or carefully choose a model without DPF.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

rockylizard

Post by rockylizard » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Gday...

The following site will give some information about DPF ...

https://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertisse ... tinkering/

Simply scroll down to find the article ... to save you scrolling check the attached file for the detail on DPF -

Cheers - John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto - 2008 23ft Golden Eagle Hunter
Some people feel the rain - the others just get wet - Bob Dylan

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi John,
Interesting article but I found the authors attitude very annoying.

He is says you have got the wrong vehicle for the job if you are not using it as required so the DPF can regenerate.

I would expect most people go out and purchase a vehicle and if it was a diesel would not even know about DPF’s.

I am sure the sales person is not going to tell you that you need to take the vehicle for a good run every now and then to regenerate the DPF or if you don’t you will be up for a new filter which probably starts at about $1000.00.

JR

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”