Sedan VS crew cab ute when towing

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
hank

Re: Sedan VS crew cab ute when towing

Post by hank » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:47 pm

Stick with the Prado, you dont need to carry extra fuel anyway. We never take the portable fridge anymore and our chairs fit easily in the boot of the van. The ride is comfortable and if you want to carry two extra people, there is ample room in the back seat, I find most twin cab utes I have sat in. too cramped in the rear.
I you want to update and you dont already have a diesel. I would certainly recommend one.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2011 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

Stuartandjan

Post by Stuartandjan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:04 am

After looking at many parks the two most popular vehicles seem to be Jeep Grand Cherokees and Mazda/Ford Crew Cabs, Prados would probably be third. The Jeep and Prado are popular for the reasons already given (they are more comfortable to travel in). Remember that you are going to spend a lot of time sitting in whichever vehicle you choose, so it is best to be as comfortable as possible and make sure it is a diesel.

Sean

Post by Sean » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:41 am

I prefer a dual cab ute for all the reasons above like carrying fuel that isn't in the cabin.

They also can be significantly cheaper to buy, around $10K in the case of a Prado (about $62K) vs Hilux (about 52K) in turbo diesel. You then of course need to factor in the cost of adding a canopy if you want one.

If you're not brand specific then a Triton will do what you want for about $33K

Remember when comparing between wagons and utes that a canopy will cost money for a ute, and a cargo barrier will cost money in a wagon - it evens out the equation slightly.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:45 pm

Stuartandjan wrote:After looking at many parks the two most popular vehicles seem to be Jeep Grand Cherokees and Mazda/Ford Crew Cabs, Prados would probably be third. The Jeep and Prado are popular for the reasons already given (they are more comfortable to travel in). Remember that you are going to spend a lot of time sitting in whichever vehicle you choose, so it is best to be as comfortable as possible and make sure it is a diesel.
I wouldn't buy a Jeep until OT finishes writing the "General Product Recalls" post; it will go on forever.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”