Sedan VS crew cab ute when towing

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Jazmin

Sedan VS crew cab ute when towing

Post by Jazmin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi everyone. We have a follower who asked the following:

Karin:
Can you give me advice on Sedan vs crew cab ute when towing? We are about to change our car and wonder what the consensus is. We tow an Island Star which is only 1.6. It isn't about the weight of the caravan, it is about the security and convenience of whether we purchase a crew cab or wagon (eg Prado) like we have had before. My hubby wants a ute and I want a sedan!!! :confused:

Any help or advice for Karin is much appreciated :D :D
Journalist & Digital Coordinator
Caravan and Motorhome on Tour

TramcarTrev

Re: Sedan VS crew cab ute when towing

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Ahhhhh well my opinion is go for the waggon... Greater security, more comfortable on longer drives.
But whatever you decide on if your are going to tow then a diesel is the only real option... Its torque that tows your van, the power gives you the acceleration and as you want to tow rather than burn off others at the lights the diesel will give you better results than the petrol...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:31 pm

A dual cab ute can carry the same as a 5 seat wagon but has a big load carrying capacity at the back for extra gear like fridge, gennie, tool box, spares box, chairs, compressor, solar panel and for when you want to go to the garbage dump with all your prunings etc.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

A'van

Post by A'van » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:48 pm

I think it depends on how much you are going to use your van and where you are going.
If it's only for a few weeks a year and you stay on the blacktop, a sedan is quite OK.
A sedan, I think, is more comfortable when you are not towing.
We have a sedan and it tows our little van easy, but if you have a big van and you want to carry a lot, a crew cab would be better, don't forget you would need a hard cover or canopy for the back so it can be locked.
There's a lot of choices, take them for a test drive before you buy, look at the running cost including service.
A bloke across the road, bought a new Triton dual cab diesel all good, he can't get it in the garage it's to long :lol: So you got to check it all.

Hans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8O79uP0JmM
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

jock

Post by jock » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:17 am

Actually..,. a very strange question. The original poster asks the preference between a sedan or ute but, if you read the post carefully...a wagon pops it's head up. !!
My opinion is...(a) if it's a choice between a sedan or a dual cab... Buy the dual cab.
(b) if it's a choice between a dual cab or a 4wd wagon...buy the wagon.

Jock :confused:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:26 am

I find the terminology a bit confusing :confused:

The terms wagon, ute and sedan are all used.

Quote... it is about the security and convenience of whether we purchase a crew cab or wagon (eg Prado) like we have had before. My hubby wants a ute and I want a sedan!!!

As opposed to a ute Karin wants a sedan. Does she mean a Prado or Commodore/Falcon style?

Although disputed by owners here I found the popular twin cab utes to ride like a truck and look ugly. They have a number of practical advantages but rough ride is not one. A Prado/Pajero style is less utilitarian and more comfortable.

EDIT: Bugger :!: Jock has beaten me to the punch ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:45 am

I would go for the ute every time, but cover it with a thief proof top.
I reckon it will drive ok with a van on the back.
I reckon you have to consider the use of the car in a broader time span as well.

I mean we only go on trips how often against say daily transport? It will certainly be a bouncy ride just as a daily commuter... :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:22 am

A'van wrote: A bloke across the road, bought a new Triton dual cab diesel all good, he can't get it in the garage it's to long :lol: So you got to check it all.

Hans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8O79uP0JmM
Very valid point. I had to move some machinery when I upgraded from Sorrento to Challenger so that it would fit.
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

blackmo

Post by blackmo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:51 am

I would have loved a duel cab as I really like to take additional gear with us but as mentioned the modern garages are too small to fit the duel cab in unless the tow bar goose neck was removed. Even then my wife would not have room for access behind & in front of the vehicle in the garage.
Have to be happy with the Prado even though it is very comfortable to travel in.
Peter & Robyn
Royal Flair 21'
Prado GXL Auto

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:39 pm

I don't see much difference in the ride between the Navara and the Pathfinder. The pathfinder has a little more comfort in the rear seat but the Navara D40 seat is fine for large kids.

As far as security goes there is no difference between the cab of a ute and a station wagon. The canopy of the ute is easier to get into if you have a pinch bar. The larger area of the tub is great for comfortable chairs and substantial tables. The rear of the station wagon may be fine if you like those back breaking umbrella chairs. If you don't like the security afforded by the canopy then you put your valuables under the seats of the cabin and your less valuable items go in the tub.

If you are going to do some outback travel then the ability to carry extra fuel for confidence is highly desirable. It's great to have two capsules, the smelly fuel containers go in one and you sit i the other.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”