200 Series Towing Mirror recommendations

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Old Techo

Re: 200 Series Towing Mirror recommendations

Post by Old Techo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Bussy wrote:I know a bloke who built a huge bathroom cabinet fit for a king and queen out in his garage but when he tried to install it the bloody thing would not fit through any of the doorways. He had to virtually destroy the thing by pulling it all apart and then reassemble the big mess that was left but inside his bathroom this time.
Bussy, brings back old memories :(

Sorry about Off Topic.... but I rebuilt our bathroom installing a spa and replacing the horizontal window with a vertical. I did some calcs on the spa and knew I could not get it through bathroom door so I poked it through the horizontal window slot before I bricked it up.
spa 1.jpg
Then of course I had to suspend the bloody thing to perform all of the other groundwork. Got a few head bruises :(
spa 2.jpg
About a year later...
spa 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Bussy

Post by Bussy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:09 pm

That’s pretty impressive before & after OT. All the hard work almost long since forgotten once the end result is seen.
Spoke to a bloke with 200 series and big Evernew van today about his choice of Clearview mirrors. He, like me had a 100 series and over the history of his two tugs went through a range of mirror types because initially he did not want to spend the bigger dollars on the Clearview’s but the others all failed, broke and one fell off going through the Burnley tunnel in Melbourne so he could not stop to retrieve it. So in the end he bought the Clearviews and is very happy with them and in hindsight wished he had not wasted the money on the others first.
He said I would be mad not to fit them. We spoke about the ADR compliance and he said he thinks they do comply, showed me how they fold back if in a carpark etc. and he did not care if not compliant a he would not be taking them off as the extra visibility was just too good to ignore.

So now after seeing them close up, looks like it the Clearviews for me too.

Cheers,
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE
Home building a 21.6ft off-roader called "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient
When its finished WE retire.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Allan,
The Clearview ad inside the front cover of the C and M magazine states "ADR APPROVED; all Clearview mirrors have been tested and certified to meet Australian Design Rules". If that was a whole lot of BS, they could get into a lot of expensive trouble, I would think.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Well the folks who run the ADR system don't "Approve" things so the website is a bit misleading

What happens is that they make a bunch of rules/standards etc and things are then "Certified" as being compliant with them by either the person who makes them, or a third party.

This is the certificate for the 200 Series. You wont find the word approved on it, you will find the word comply/compliance.

http://clearviewmirrors.com.au/pdf/CC_200S.pdf

BruDi

Post by BruDi » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:30 pm

We've just bought a 200 Series and had Clearview mirrors fitted by the dealer. We had them on our Prado and think they are great, easy to use and less hassle. We push them in to enter our garage although we can get in with them in the driving position. In makes it easier to move around the vehicle when in the garage.

Di

Bussy

Post by Bussy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks Di, I am pretty convinced that will be the way to go.

Speaking of Clearview's, today whilst driving I saw a small D-max SUV that had the clear views fitted, talk about look funny, like having them hanging out the sides of a RAV4. If I did not have traffic all around me I would have snapped a shot. Wonder what they tow with that SUV and would it have the power to push those mirrors into a head wind? Then again I did see a Toyota Echo pulling a small caravan up near Echuca a few years back.
Cheers,
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE
Home building a 21.6ft off-roader called "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient
When its finished WE retire.

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 am

Great job OT.
That a fair bit of work as well.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:08 am

Bussy wrote:Thanks Di, I am pretty convinced that will be the way to go.

Speaking of Clearview's, today whilst driving I saw a small D-max SUV that had the clear views fitted, talk about look funny, like having them hanging out the sides of a RAV4. If I did not have traffic all around me I would have snapped a shot. Wonder what they tow with that SUV and would it have the power to push those mirrors into a head wind? Then again I did see a Toyota Echo pulling a small caravan up near Echuca a few years back.
Cheers,
ALLAN
If it was the latest Isuzu MUX wagon/SUV then it is rated to tow 3 tonne and would be quite capable of towing some of the big ones on the road; they are a nice car to drive also.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi Allan,
Here I go with some negative comments after everyone is saying how good these Clearview mirrors are and in my opinion they would have to be the best mirror available but they are big!

I have never owned a set and cannot use them due to my driveway well more the bush either side of the drive. I need every inch of clearance when reversing and remove my add on mirror to do so.

Anyway I expect you have fitted a rear camera on the van and in my opinion the camera is much better plus the Landcruier mirrors which are a reasonable size anyway.

Now before people start on the regulations about you must see down the side of your van which I agree with, just fit some basic mirror that lets you see down the side of the van. That will then meet the regulations but a good quality 90 degree camera at the rear of the van is all I ever use and the extra mirrors I have are just there to meet the regulations. The camera shows everything behind the van and the standard mirrors show all you need to see for lane changes.

I personally find the rear camera plus the vehicle mirrors gives you much more view than any add on mirrors but you must have something to see down the side of the van to satisfy the regulations and also as the camera is electronic it is not as reliable as a mirror.

JR
:razz:

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:51 pm

i use Melancos on my 200 .Very good . Love them. Cost only $149.00 and I can take them off and put them on in a "flash" Minimal vibration.. and not effected by passing trucks.

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”