200 Series Towing Mirror recommendations

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Cyclone

Re: 200 Series Towing Mirror recommendations

Post by Cyclone » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:12 pm

I use Milenco mirrors on the Prado and am very happy with them. The Clearviews seem very good but I won't put them on. I like the convenience of flicking a switch and the mirrors fold in.
The 200 series is wider than the Prado. Do you need extra or wider mirrors to see down the side of the Van?
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Bussy

Post by Bussy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Well as you probably guessed I went with the Clearview mirrors and buy hell they do give you a clear view but….
First time I drove with them, no van and thought they stick out way too far for initial comfort and take a lot of getting used to. First trip down the freeway I felt like I was taking up two lanes. Light poles and cyclist are going to get flattened when on a narrow streets. Nearly wiped the passenger side one off on a tree in the nature strip when parallel parked in my street, just missed!

Hope I don’t meet, on a narrow section of road, another 200 series with Clearview’s fitted, coming the other way because I reckon we would get tangled up like a couple of moose in mating season.

Yes, before you say it, they were pushed back into the non-towing position.

Cheers,
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE
Home building a 21.6ft off-roader called "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient
When its finished WE retire.

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi Allan,

Welcome back!

Did you notice when driving how big a blind spot was created by the clearviews? I already have a massive pillar and the original mirrors (BT50) that cause me to look twice in car parks and approaching intersections etc. If I fit a snorkle and clearviews then I will have made the blind spot even bigger, so I am hesitant to make it worse.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else about the potential blind spot issue, especially when not towing.

No doubt they give you a great view down the side and behind. My wife always complains that at her seated height, she cannot see very much to the right hand side because of the mirrors.

Cheers Muzz

Bussy

Post by Bussy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi Muzz,
Did not think about the blind spot and re-visited this after you mentioned it but looking from my perspective, 180 cm tall, I see right over the top of them so not a problem. Will try to take some photos from my eyes view of each side and post them for discussion. My wife on the other hand sitting lower would have a similar issue to yours when looking out my side but then she usually has the new idea on her lap so enough said.
I don't have a snorkel fitted to this tug but will bear your comments in mind if I decide to put one on. Will have to have a look at some 200 series with snorkels to see if they cause any increase in pillar blind spot.

Cheers,
ALLAN

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi Allan,

It did seem that many years ago, the pillar blind spot was a big thing in car reviews but now it does not seem to rate a mention.

My BT50 has the adjustable height seats (hell it has adjustments for every direction) all at the push of a button but then the wife does not like to sit in a high position to see over the existing mirrors as it upsets all the other driving aspects for her.

I am holding off with both the mirrors and snorkel as you never know what solution is around the corner.

As for your 200, you may get an opportunity to sit in someone else's that has everything fitted, just to see if it (the blind spot) is an issue or not.

I know they are great mirrors but if it allows some dangerous situations to arise I would be a bit wary. A lot would depend on whether you drive in a busy built up area where there are lots of kids or elderly etc., as opposed to someone who lives in the country and spends very little time in built up areas.

Car parks are a worry for me as some small cars that are driving toward me at 90 degrees disappear behind my mirrors. :shock:

Anyway I wish you well and hope you don't have any issues with them.

Cheers
Muzz

wombat13at

Post by wombat13at » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:00 am

Clearview mirrors all the way they are expensive but you will never have any issues seeing with or without your van

Bussy

Post by Bussy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Probably have to agree with Wombat but in hindsight I should have purchased the black ones and not the chrome as the chrome bits on mounting arms etc. reflect all sorts of stuff around you and that flickering movement of the reflection catches your eye and is very distracting. Was parked at the traffic lights when the police chopper flew over quite low and its image flashed through the chrome arms on the passenger side which caused me to think someone was about to T bone me. Like I said they are hard to get used to. I am very used to the police air wing chasing me but....

Anyone else contemplating the clear views make sure you get black and not chrome.
Cheers,
ALLAN

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 am

Funny that, when I bought mine from a four wheel drive outlet it was cheaper by around $80-00, as it was the only one they had in black. Their whole stock was chrome.

I jumped at the chance of getting the black ones. They are just fine, you get used to the size of the things over time, and I wouldn't ever go back to the originals now.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 pm

I can't put Clearview mirrors on my D-Max as I only just fit with the originals; I think the clearance is for a pre-90s ute. I have had to put up with some Italian made ones because I can't seem to be able to fit Aussie truck mirrors. They fitted the 2004 Hilux and were great to use. Then the other day I saw a photo of a set of the same mirrors fitted to a D-Max ute and another photo of them on an MUX. So now I'll have another go at fitting them to the D-Max.
I hope it works as they are the best I have ever used.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

jessdogster

Post by jessdogster » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:48 pm

I haven't really noticed the distraction you describe but its chrome for me all the way JR...I like the bling 8-)
Just a nice addition to the other chrome subtleties around the cruiser. :D

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”