BT50 Auto

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Scotty

Re: BT50 Auto

Post by Scotty » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:34 pm

40,000km, 20,000 km of it towing, always tow in "S" mode and often use "Manual" as I can choose the gear I want when I want it. (for example before I get to a hill or going down a hill)
Scotty

Wombat96

Post by Wombat96 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:16 pm

I'm not a Mazda owner however I was riding today with a bloke who has one. The auto trans died at 44K kilometres in his.

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi Wombat,

What was the year of manufacture?

Without knowing that we do not know which Mazda it was.

Muzz

Wombat96

Post by Wombat96 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:31 am

muzz_on_line wrote:Hi Wombat,

Muzz
Don't know anything except it's a BT50. I can find out probably tomorrow.

budget

Post by budget » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:32 pm

i have a bmw x5 and when i first towed with it i also put it in sport mode and it would jump back a gear and take off when in cruise.just as it was designed to do.
as you proberly already know,to save the trans,stick it in manual,put the cruise on and if your new dual cabs have enough torque let the motor do the work.

Wombat96

Post by Wombat96 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:20 pm

muzz_on_line wrote:Hi Wombat,

Muzz
Caught up with my mate. His ute is 2013.

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi Wombat96,

Just found your reply whilst I was looking for something else. :confused:

I am surprised I haven't / hadn't seen it sooner.

The 2013 was the current model. Good to know as that supports some of the other posts here as well.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Muzz

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Whilst I have this thread open I just remembered a question I have been meaning to ask the experts / experienced people out there.

I tow my van in sports mode and my simplistic explanation of sports mode is that it prevents the automatic from going into a gear higher than what you have selected, ie it can go to a lower gear but not above. So selecting sports and not doing anything else will lock out 6th gear. Select down and it will lock out 5th gear etc.

When you approach a descent and you select say 4th gear as being the top gear that the auto can go into,

what revs should you allow the motor to get to before changing up to 5th gear?

NOTE: I have had to select normal automatic mode sometimes to get the auto to go back into the highest gear after I have climbed a hill because the motor just wanted to stay in high revs and not do the gear change. As soon as it is back in the high gear I put it back in sport mode again. Not sure if this is a torque converter lock up consequence or not. I usually do this as the revs approach 3 grand, hence my question when you are trying to keep the rig from excessive speed build up.

Interested to hear from BT50 and Ranger owners but would appreciate any information from the more experienced / knowledgeable people out there.

My model BT50 is a 2013 also.

Cheers

Muzz

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:27 am

muzz_on_line wrote:what revs should you allow the motor to get to before changing up to 5th gear?
Red line on the tacho. That's why the red line is there, that is as high as the motor was designed to work at. It does a motor good to give it a work out occasionally.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks Peter

At those revs, do you think there is much deceleration as compared to the slower revs. IE is it similar to the power curve or torque where the torque increase eventually gets less in the higher revs.

Not a mechanic or engineer per se, so I am just interested to learn what is the optimum way to use the gearing when towing.

Cheers

Muzz

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”