View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 F250 7.3 Diesel as a tug 

Location: Melb Sth East 2004 7.3 litre F250 Supercab Ute. Crusader Manhattan
Post Re: F250 7.3 Diesel as a tug
Suggestions are welcomed. Unless they are derogatory, or lacking taste. With this amount of 'stuff' I may need to reassess my future.

I might add. FOR SALE. 1 22' Supreme Eclipse Caravan. Fitted with everything including solar, Honda 2.0 genny, full annexe.
FOR SALE. 1 1990 GQ 5 door Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo, aftermarket every things fitted.

Offers as a PM. Can be viewed in Wagga Wagga.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:45 pm

I reckon the big ford pick-ups are the biggest selling vehicles in the USA.
I like the safety factor, and as a ute your never short of space. Maybe a bit on fuel but if you are going nomad you also stay for long periods in different hideaways, so and it all balances out.
I know I will never sell my tojo, I like the truck heavier than the van.

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Carpets in car OT? Never had nor wanted that. Not suited to living in the country nor touring the outback.

Old Techo wrote:
Motherhen wrote:
Ours is the Brazilian built for the Australian market model (2004).

So I guess the carpets are bald MH ;-)

One drawback of a big vehicle Teddy is parking. Don't even try to take in into a crammed shopping centre car park; you have to do three point turns to get around the rows of cars. With larger car parks, you really need two bays wide so you can get open the doors, and two long to accommodate the extra length of the vehicle.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

Motherhen, you have got it in one. Possible good part is I may have to park further away and walk. Incidental exercise they call it.

But this one does have a decent tray so most stuff currently in the van can be moved to the tug which has a carry capacity of just over a tonne. I will either get a replacement long range tank or a couple of 100 litre fuel tanks so I can turn a tap and let it flow. 200 litres is 172 kgs (.86 per litre) + water if we are heading bush for a period which is the plan.

And Dieseltojo, I am the same. At least the tug has some weight. Apparently the fuel consumption is on a par with a 4.2 diesel so I can live with that.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:52 am

Teddy, ours has a 260 litres diesel tank, and while it gave us a good range, I was concerned about damage to the tank leaving us stranded. We purchased a 55 litre poly diesel tank and fitted in onto the tray for our big lap and outback touring. It was plumbed in by our mechanic so we could run the vehicle directly from it if we damaged the main fuel tank, or could use it as an auxiliary tank and drain it into the main tank. We thought 55 litres a good compromise that would get us out of trouble should we split the main tank. It was easy to remove when we got home.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:56 pm
Profile WWW

Poly Diesel. Sounds like a mighty fine alternative. I'll definitely look into that as an alternative. I have just read some posts regarding the extra weight versus the extra cost versus the money saved with long range tanks. We went across the pas sock last year and the prices at either end were $1.80. Mundarabilla and Eucla were $1.96 and the rest were $2.06. That saving sounds good but to fit an extreme long range is around $1,000. Is it worth it? Not so sure.

Thanks people. Very helpful.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:32 pm

We tend to buy fuel and pay the price in outback areas. The more people that bypass the expensive outback fuel outlets, the dearer the fuel must become for those who do need to fill frequently. Cost wise, I think it is better to buy rather than set up with extra tanks and carry the weight, but it is convenient to know you have the extra. Without our spare tank, we have over 1,000 kilometre range when towing, and there are not many places that is needed. The longest span we have even had was the Tanami Road, and at 869 between Halls Creek and Tilmouth Well Roadhouse we had adequate, but if topping up at the Aboriginal communities along the way, the distance cuts down to 561 kilometres. I don't know of anywhere else near this long between fills.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2