View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 HELP! MAZDA BT50 OR LAND CRUISER TO TOW NEW VAN? 

Post Re: HELP! MAZDA BT50 OR LAND CRUISER TO TOW NEW VAN?
I have a friend who is currently towing his Crusader Manhattan across Australia with a 200 series Landcruser and he tells me that he is getting fuel figures of 20lt per 100ks.
Not good in my book. I have a 2007Jeep Grand Cherokee and get around 16 to 17lt.per 100ks. The later model JGC will do even better and according to Car Sales web site the JGC has more luggage capacity than the 200 Cruiser.

Regards Chris

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:45 am

we have a BT 50 AND IT IS A GREAT TOWING UTE. I WOULD NEVER HAVE ANYTHING THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE STUFF IN CAB WITH YOU AS YOU CANT TIE IT DOWN, AFTER BEING IN A SERIOUS ACCIDENT AND SEEING HOW DAMAGED EVERYTHING WAS IN THE LAST UTE AND IT MOVED THE TRY FORWARD. JUST IMAGINE EVERYTHING IN THE BACK OF A CRUISER OR SIMALER HITTING YOU FROM BEHIND. YES I KNOW WE ALL SAY IT WONT HAPPEN TO ME I THOUGHT THE SAME

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Gary and Sharon wrote:
we have a BT 50 AND IT IS A GREAT TOWING UTE. I WOULD NEVER HAVE ANYTHING THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE STUFF IN CAB WITH YOU AS YOU CANT TIE IT DOWN, AFTER BEING IN A SERIOUS ACCIDENT AND SEEING HOW DAMAGED EVERYTHING WAS IN THE LAST UTE AND IT MOVED THE TRY FORWARD. JUST IMAGINE EVERYTHING IN THE BACK OF A CRUISER OR SIMALER HITTING YOU FROM BEHIND. YES I KNOW WE ALL SAY IT WONT HAPPEN TO ME I THOUGHT THE SAME

A cargo barrier will fix that Gary.

Jock ;-)

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:07 am

I appreciate the comments guys. I also think the cargo barrier will sort that issue Jock (after all, that's what they're made for). I don't think there's any doubt that the Land Cruiser 200 is the ultimate tow vehicle, and that's been confirmed to me by all the people with all sorts of vehicles I've spoken to over the past few years in our travels. It all comes down to costs in the end, and even my brother in law who loves his Jeep agrees, but as he says, the Jeep is a cheaper option when your budget won't stretch to a Land Cruiser. As for fuel usage figures, there are so many variables it's almost impossible to get any accurate comparisons (e.g.: weight and height of van (including tyre size and suspension riser), whether the tow vehicle has been modified (again larger tyres, suspension lift, roof rack etc), how the driver uses the right foot, what gear is used, and how truthful the person telling the story is etc etc). The availability of service (i.e.: dealer network) is also important if travelling in remote areas, hence why it pays (in my opinion) to stick to a common and popular brand where there are dealers not far away.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 am

I have a 2007 100 series v8 petrol cruiser and tow a Eurostar 609. The van is 1940Kg empty, according to the plate, add water (180lt) and all the stuff that we novices add, should be 2500kg. We have towed to Tasmania and recently to Airlie Beach, Charters towers and back. No matter what I do I go 4.5klm per litre towing. 22.litres /100. 12.8 litres/100 on a trip not towing and about 15/100 just mooching around town. This is a great vehicle, no jigging and juggling, tows with ease and is a pleasure to drive and I can't get my wife out of the drivers seat unless I stick the van on the back.
I also have a Colorado (2008) that was the original tugger, did the job but as far as I am concerned is a rough ride but doesn't hold a candle to the cruiser.
We reckoned if we were worried about the fuel consumption, should have left the mongrel on the lot. Try a petrol cruiser.
o oh.
Ken.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:07 pm

GregW2881 wrote:
Hi all. Been a member on here for a couple of years but this is the first post and I'm hoping some wise people can help me make a big decision.
We spent 10 months doing the round Australia trip finishing May this year. We towed a 19ft 6in Lotus van with a 2010 Isuzu D'Max (automatic transmission), total 34,000km - not all towing the van of course. The D'Max did the job admirably and I love it but I wouldn't tow anything heavier than the Lotus (which weighed 2600kg loaded) with the current D'Max, mainly because of the power. We do carry stuff in the back of the ute as well weighing approx. 300kg. We had such a great time we've sold the Lotus van and have ordered a 21ft 6in Traveller caravan that will weigh almost exactly 3 tonne loaded. While the new D'Max is rated 3.5 tonne, it has the same motor as my current one. It's a fantastic motor but does lack power in some situations (hence why I wouldn't tow a 3 tonne van with it). I'm tossing up between a Mazda BT50 (5 cylinder diesel), or a Land Cruiser 200 St. Wagon (V8 diesel). The thing that frightens me with the Land Cruiser is the ongoing costs (fuel and maintenance etc and I've heard fuel efficiency anywhere from 17 litres to 32 litres per 100k's). I really do not know which way to go. Can anybody help me with this dilemma?
(PS - My brother in law tows a van with a Jeep Cherokee Laredo (6 cyl diesel) that he loves, but I can't bring myself to buy a Jeep sorry).

My personel opinion would be to try the dmax you could spend a little money on it and have it chipped and snorkel fitted you would be very surprised at the difference it makes first you have nothing to lose by testing it out my other personel opinion is Toyota is not worth the extra money in purchase and running costs they are way to expensive for what you get

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:31 am

:mrgreen: I agree with Colin the cruiser is over price and dear running cost but what a car for towing a 3 ton van ! Being a ute man could not give up the Toyota for a bt50 or ford ranger. :roll: Trev

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:56 am

For my money, only one choice.
Cruiser.
Jay&Dee

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:07 pm

A while ago we were going to swap our 2001 4.2TD cruiser for a ute but found them less comfortable than the cruiser so kept the old girl, after all she's only done 350K.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:33 am

We have a 2012 TTD 200 series and used to pull about 3 tonne with our old van.
Full loaded, (water on board, food, boat on the roof and......booze :mrgreen:) the worst I have experienced is 21 litres per 100k and generally get anywhere between 16 - 20 depending on the terrain. Hills will knock the economy around. Being a closet petrol head, I also love the V8 motor 8-)

I've also fitted a scangauge which allows me to observe my fuel usage in real time and gives me an overall average for the trip + monitor transmission temps etc. - I can moderate my driving style accordingly.

32litres per 100k - that's got to be a really heavy right foot coupled to a poor driver. :shock:
I've heard of 25 but that was towing all day into a head wind.

I tow with the transmission locked in 4th at around 90kph and have found that speed to be the optimum for economy.

Our new van is a similar weight and expect the same results.

Good luck with your decision.

...did I mention I love the V8 :)

regards
Jdog

Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2