View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New BT 50 

Post Re: New BT 50
Muzz I would still be looking for a bad earth.

Not sure but this is where I would start.

Pull your brake light globes and see if the problem is still there, then replace one at a time and see if anything changes.

Power can cross the globe and then run down the earth wire, this is why you can get a lower voltage.

Cheers

When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks Rolex, I will try that.

So far I have disconnected the electric brake controller - just the wiring harness from the back of the unit and it made no difference.

Has been far too hot and steamy here lately to do much at all during the day and storms daily.

Have spent around every second or third night up in the roof replacing crappy insulation. Even at night this is a job that absolutely knocks you around. I just can't keep the fluids up it is so hot.

Anyway, I will try your solution and see what happens.

I still don't understand how there is voltage between the earth side of each light fitting and the chassis! :confused:

What will happen if I connect a wire from the common earth in each light combination to ground (chassis)? Won't this blow the fuse?

Muzz

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:34 pm

muzz_on_line wrote:
Thanks Rolex, I will try that.

I still don't understand how there is voltage between the earth side of each light fitting and the chassis! :confused:

What will happen if I connect a wire from the common earth in each light combination to ground (chassis)? Won't this blow the fuse?

Muzz

You would think so hey ? but NO that is how the globe works, power in one side then it is basically a dead short across the globe to earth, it is that dead short that makes the globe glow.

When there is no dead short to earth the power can continue through the globe and on down the earth wire, it looses some voltage because of the resistance at each globe it passes through, eventually it finds a earth and that is why all the other lights glow, if the power never found its way to earth none of your globes would glow.

You can run a wire from a known good earth and touch it on each globe base and see if things change.

When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:49 am

Hi Rolex,

I have removed one brake bulb at a time and the flickering of the monitor stopped.

However, when I attached a new extra earth wire from the common earth to the chassis, the fuse blew on the reversing light circuit!

Don't know what to do now other then take it to an auto-sparky.

Is there anything else I should look into?

Cheers
Muzz

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:35 am

Does the fuse blow only after reverse is selected or at anytime with the ignition on/off ?

What is on the reversing light circuit ? is it a short or a fuse overload ?

Do you use reversing lights on the van ? remove the globes and see what happens ?

Can you remove what you have done and see what happens ?

Can you reduce the size of the circuit and test again ?

It is 4.15am and my head is stale, I will think on this and get back to you.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:23 am

Hi Rolex,

Does the fuse blow only after reverse is selected or at anytime with the ignition on/off ?
Only when reverse is selected. (With the extra earth wire)

What is on the reversing light circuit ? is it a short or a fuse overload ?
The trigger wire to turn my monitor to AV2 and powers the reversing camera.

Do you use reversing lights on the van ? remove the globes and see what happens ?
The van is not connected when all this happens. Have not checked to see if it does happen with van connected.

Can you remove what you have done and see what happens ?
So far I have removed the plug from the back of the P3 brake controller and there was no difference.

Can you reduce the size of the circuit and test again ?
Not sure how to do that, can you give me an idea of what you are thinking here?

4:15 am! :shock:

I don't think you are drinking the right stuff. :rolleyes:

Thanks for helping mate, this is a very annoying problem.

Cheers Muzz

Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:25 pm

415am ? I was just killing time waiting for my relief after a night shift.

OK I assumed the camera was mounted on the back of the van, not just on the truck.

So it sounds like the problem is with the camera or trigger wiring.

Be sure the positive and negative have not been swapped.

Can you disconnect the negative power wire for the camera and the monitor unit one at a time, see if the fuse still blows when reverse is selected ?

If the fuse still blows the problem is in a positive power wire, now this could be damage or just a poor connection.

If the fuse does not blow the problem is in the camera or monitor unit, reconnect the negative wire to prove the fuse will blow again.

Reducing the load was to ensure it was a short that was causing the problem not a fuse overload, as it is only the camera and not your van there should be no overload.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:18 pm

It's all in the timing Muzz, last month I chucked the bride on the back of the bike and we had some R&R at Mantra on Salt beach @ Kingscliff, I could have slipped over the boarder and had a look at your problem.

How long ago did you do the install and when did these problems start ?

You do have a earth problem as evidenced by the fact that your fuse only blows when you add the extra earth.

Have a look for damaged wires anywhere you put screws into the body, that is new screws or any you took out and replace when routing your wires.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 am

Mate you are a champion!

On Granddaughter (3 and half Years old) minding all day today, shopping and catch up with friends tomorrow, more Granddaughter minding all day Wednesday, A/C install on house Thursday, more Granddaughter minding all day Friday, so it will be a few days until I get back to checking the wires.

But I will try to fit in some checks when I can. At least you have given me some avenues to be looking at as my mind was blank.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

You will always be welcome here and there is always a cup of Tea or Coffee available.

Just keep that bike upright and the wind in your face.

Cheers
Muzz

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:51 am

Sorry Rolex, I forgot to answer your question.

As my BT50 has had the tub removed and a full body canopy installed, I am not sure when it all started.

I was only informed of the problem by a gentleman who had followed me into a shopping centre car park a few months back.

The issue with the Monitor started when I hooked up the monitor override wire to the reversing circuit which causes it to go into AV2 and the reversing camera.

Muzz

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next