The big lap

Great Australian Destinations - Travel and Touring information
jfamily

The big lap

Post by jfamily » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi, we are planning on a gap year, at the beginning of next year. Would love to hear from seasoned travelers on what destinations we need to visit, north or south first etc. will be in a caravan. Thanks

Motherhen

Re: The big lap

Post by Motherhen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:11 pm

We all like different things. We like geographical features, rocks, gorges, waterfall. We avoid cities and large towns. Hugging the coast is not our idea of seeing the real Australia; the outback and centre. Others may like towns and festivals, or the coastline and fishing. Only you can pick what suits your tastes in travel experiences.

Follow the seasons - north as soon as the weather is OK, and head south when it becomes too hot and humid and cyclonic rains threaten.

Don't forget Tasmania and allow about three months for that if you can. Make your Spirit of Tasmania bookings early, booking return trip at the same time. Tassie would be a good place to start a the start of the year and mainland heat.

Don't stress about getting right the way around in your year. Better to take it easy and have a stress and deadline free time seeing places thoroughly, relaxing and enjoying it, than saying you have driven around the circumference - and burnt a lot of fuel.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:47 am

Everything MH just said X1..Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 am

Spot on Motherhen!
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:01 am

get yourself in alice springs in the second and [mostly]3rd weekend in august.. This IS true australia outback boating on a dry river. extreme family fun at a small cost...

link

http://henleyontodd.com.au/

Rod..PS do the center at the same time ,lovely weather.
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:16 am

when in ROCKHAMPTON go to MT Etna NP OFFICE n get a permit to climb MT ETNA n see the bent wing bats take off at sunset...

You LITERALLY climb over a cliff edge on steel stairs to climb down to the cave openning. GREAT PICS going down n safe as...

THI IS THE BEST SIGHTS in australia..you must do this. choose a cooler month as you climb an hour before sunset then return after sunset. VERY well graded tracks but a TORCH EACH please..

Link below

https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/mount ... -tours.pdf

Its cheap as and you'll see the best Aus has to offer.cooler months please.its a high climb..rod
Image Image Image Image

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 am

WA WildFlowers early spring onwards from Carnarvon south to Perth LITERALLY both sides of the highway for hundreds of kilometers. Beautifull colours of all kinds. vast fields of them..
CP's in this area have their own flower tours free if you stay in their CP's..we didnt but took the day tour..BEAUTIFULL..

BUT you DONT need tours if you choose not to. the sides of the highways south is FILLED with flowers of all kinds colours...

Link

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/THIN ... owers.aspx

over a few months you can plan it EASILY to see the best...Rod
Image Image Image Image

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:38 pm

September is peak wildflower season in Western Australia, although August in the mid west will be good. Kalbarri National Park spectacular throughout the spring months.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

jock

Post by jock » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 am

jfamily wrote:Hi, we are planning on a gap year, at the beginning of next year. Would love to hear from seasoned travelers on what destinations we need to visit, north or south first etc. will be in a caravan. Thanks
Some more info might help get you some ideas.
Where are you starting from?....Is your outfit capable of some off-road work? Do you like to bush camp?
Are you travelling with a pet?
If you go right around, basically hugging the Coast with the usual inland sorties like visiting Karijini in W.A., you can expect to travel at least 25,000 kms...... You will also find extremely crowded conditions in the Northern regions in July, August, Sept. ..Also prices for these areas at these times will be very much higher.

Jock. :)

Return to “Destinations”