Woodgate - Yamba

Great Australian Destinations - Travel and Touring information
Archer63

Woodgate - Yamba

Post by Archer63 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Wife and I are starting to think about trips away ( still short trips max 3-4 nights & 4 hour max drive either Nth or Sth of Brisbane ) for early next year and we are thinking about either Woodgate or Yamba.
Anyone have any tips on either of these places....or northern NSW for that matter ?

Cheers
Rob
Live For Today

TramcarTrev

Re: Woodgate - Yamba

Post by TramcarTrev » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm

I've been to Woodgate it was quite nice.
Iluka across the river from Yamba is better.
Yamba can be a bit like Byron Bay.
If you are only going for a few days, 4 hours from home then it's worth just doing it.
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:54 am

Stay here in Mclean. It is a show ground and at $10-00 per nigh a great place. A half hour from Yamba. :)

http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 69&t=19473
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:06 am

I know both places very well; my sister lives in Yamba so visit there often. As TT says it can be a bit like Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour so go to Iluka and you can still get a ferry to Yamba if need be; it is a busy town most of the time.
On the other hand, Woodgate is quiet, if that is what you want. We go there after the Xmas school holidays every year and meet up with friends (four sets of them) and play bocce for happy hour every day. The course is rough and makes for a lot of fun. At just over $200 per week, it is good value and they have free WiFi as well. The CP is located across from the beach and if wanting a night out there is a bowls/sporting club that has a courtesy bus that will collect and return you. Raffles are on Friday night.
Although there are some shops in two locations in town, Bundaberg is only a short drive away and if you join the RSL there, (I think either $1 or $5 for life) the meals are much cheaper and excellent.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks for the replies all.

This is tbe sort of info i was hoping for...very helpful.
Quiet or busy places are both ok with us as its the nice surroundings that do it for us. Only thing we're not to keen on is being beside a main road again like we were up at Bribie Island earlier tbis year.

Glanyard. ..this is the type of detailed info i was looking for...thanks !!

Cheers
Rob
Live For Today

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:42 am

Knowing if places have wifi is very handy to know.
Also what each place has to offer etc. After a few small trips away this year we are learning to relax more and that we don't have to go here there & everywhere and that just by staying at a nice place and lounging around is enough.

DT...remember seeing your report from Mclean earlier....looks nice....have heard that the fishing especially is good all around that area.

Bocce at Woodgate....oh no...the wife will like that....must be the Italian half coming out !
RSL's we have visited have all had good meals and are reasonably priced....so that info is also handy to know.

Would also like to get down to Tamworth or Kempsey at some stage but that would obviously be a holiday trip rather than a long weekender.

Cheers
Rob
Live For Today

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:48 pm

For info for you:
I'm sorry I don't have any suitable photos for you.
There are no main roads in either place.
At Woodgate, ask at the office on arrival for the codes for WiFi.
To get the better deal at Bundy RSL, you have to join their club even if you are already a member elsewhere.
Kempsey is where you would turn East to then go up to South West Rocks.
Tamworth, as far as I'm concerned, is a nice place to have a look around but unless you are into country and western music, two night would be enough.
I'm having caravan movers fitted to my van in 3 weeks to make it easier to get in and out, and that will mean we will be on the road more often; just weekends or up to 2 weeks.
glanyard

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Another place worth a look is Elliott Heads, which is closer to Bundaberg.
We have been there a few times and enjoyed the location.
I always start my research by using Google maps with street view which gives me a good idea of the park and surroundings.
glanyard

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks for the tips Glanyard...much appreciated.

I have friended Woodgate on Facebook and get whatever updates and pics they put up....and agree...google earth is your best friend...especially if you like to also fish.

Looking forward to next year already.
Cheers
Rob
Live For Today

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Used to be quite a fan of Slim Dusty and would love to visit Kempsey to see the new museum dedicated to him, although I like some country music I wouldn't say I was a big enough fan to attend the Tamworth festival, the country around that whole area of northern NSW sure looks nice.
Might have to put that one down for holidays next year as well.
Live For Today

Return to “Destinations”