View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Travelling from Perth to Cairns 

Post Travelling from Perth to Cairns
Hi
I am just starting to plan a trip from Perth to Cairns. Time is not important as we want to view as much as possible. Could you please advise of suggested routes that you have covered and any roads that you would advise to avoid. Also we would appreciate some ideas on points of interest/scenic locations you suggest should not be missed. At this point we are looking at travelling anticlockwise and start our journey around April next year.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Post Re: Travelling from Perth to Cairns
Hi Nigel

Depending on where you have already toured, perhaps starting in April you should head north to be in the Kimberley in the optimum weather of May/June.

Do you have rough road capable or are you confined to good roads?

Do you camp independently or choose caravan parks?

What sort of things appeal to you? National parks and geographic features? Towns,and festivals? Outback and remote? Coastal or inland?

Is Cairns a finite destination or a turning point to return home?

We all like different things and choose different routes accordingly.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm
Profile WWW

Hi,
If you are traveling with a laptop with access to the internet and a GPS, then a good idea is to register as a geocacher. Then become a premium member by paying about $30 for the year. With that membership you can download geocaches onto google earth for any area you come to and even along the road you are traveling. Then you read the logs written by the finders of the geocaches of the area. If the site of the cache is worth going to it will have enthusiastic descriptions and even photos. The cache page will give you directions of how to get to the site and even places to park. Whether you look for the cache or not is up to you. I take great pleasure in finding the cache, but it is the site that is important to the traveler. The locals hide caches in all their favourite places. Places of beauty, historical interest, or just fun places. I find it far better than going to information centres. I cannot speak for all places but I live on the Atherton Tablelands west of Cairns. I can assure you that if you came and found all the caches in the area, you would leave having seen more of the beauty spots and know more of the history of the area than 90 percent of the locals and definitely more than those working in the information centre.
Cheers,
Dan

Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Goodness Nigel what a question.
I could write 5 pages on the subject ( but I wont).
Just a few suggestions:-
The Pinnacles at Cervantes - Kalbarri -Coral Bay (Ningaloo Reef)- Exmouth ( NPs & the Reef also) - Paraburdoo - Tom Price (Mines)- Karajini NP - Cape Keraudren NP - 80 Mile Beach - Barn Hill - Broome (if you must) - Derby ( ditto plus horizontal waterfalls from here) - All along the road Broome to Katherine - (stop off at The Bungles on the way, plus Katherine Gorge) - Mataranka - Daley Waters Pub (a must) - Longreach Waters at Elliott - Tennant Creek for a look - Camooweal (Stockmans museum is good) - Mt Isa - Normanton ( Gulflander train ride) - Karumba if you can get in - Ravenshoe, Atherton and Mareeba.
Lots and lots of freecamps along the way, get Camps Aust Wide if you dont already have it.
The above route is on all good sealed roads.
Keep looking and asking questions, you will gain a lot of info from this forum.

Jeff.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks to those who have given ideas. looking at the maps I think going North via Broome, Katherine Is the go and then across to Mt Isa etc. I failed to state that my old 4 legged mate will also be with us so we will be restricted in accessing some areas.
Originally I was looking at going across to SA, Vic NSW etc to Qld but may leave those area until we return to WA.
Thanks again,

Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]