Water Tank Cap Remover

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Water Tank Cap Remover

Post by dieseltojo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 pm

I have a bit of a problem at times, undoing the water tank filling caps.

Sometimes it’s ok but when the caps, or my hands are wet, I have trouble turning them on or off. So this is for those with a touch of arthritis in their hands, to make your life easier. Or if you are just plain weak like I must be.

When independently camped, these things have to be opened more than one would think, so I have made a pair of pliers up just for the job.
I cut down an old pair of pliers, as the opening has to be about 15 mm to get a firm grip on the cap. Then just welded the tong parts, and we are ready for action. It doesn’t look pretty but it sure makes getting the caps off easy.

The pliers have a single tong on one side and a double on the other.They get a good grip, and make it easy. Also it is required to push in and turn simultaneously .

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Water Tank Cap Remover

Post by dieseltojo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:29 pm

This shows the pliers, and that the tip of the pliers was cut off prior to welding on the tongs. Stainless steel is easy to ark weld and very strong.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

bluebus
An old hand

Post by bluebus » Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi Dieseltojo.

IT does not matter what it look like has long it does the job. :razz:

Karen,Ron and the Girls. :mrgreen:

Just coasting along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 am

Into the inner sanctum; and there are all the top secret inventions.
To hang a pair of pliers just cut a couple of ally tubes ( an old roller handle) at it at an angle and then pop rivet it on. Try it out for position before drilling.

The list on the wall is my departure check list.

The jockey wheel holder has a tapered plate with a fold each side and just slides up to remove the whole thing. Not seen but the actual wheel is trapped in a small frame to stop movement.

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:21 am

I did an update due to photobucket stopping pics. These tank caps get a bit slippery when wet. This makes for easy removal.

Just weld a couple of tabs onto an old pair of pliers and shape to suite your tank cap.

1929 Pop Top

Scotty
On a roll

Post by Scotty » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:53 pm

Geez Paul you musn’t have any pliers left with all the special tools you’ve made with them. :lol:

Well done.
Scotty (Kim)

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 am

Great ideas Paul, and Kudos. By the way “Happy Birthday” for today!

For those without unlimited spare pliers and welding skills, a more simple idea is to use a short length of flat aluminium bar and drill some suitable holes in it to put some small (say M6 x 50) bolts though and lock nut them to the bar. The bolt ends will go into the indentations on the filler cap and just use the bar to undo. You would put a small bend in the flat bar so your knuckles don’t get scraped on the van wall.

If anyone has seen a 44 gallon drum cap unscrewed you will get the idea.

Cheers – ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader “The Taj Mah AL”.
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:15 am

Bussy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 am
If anyone has seen a 44 gallon drum cap unscrewed you will get the idea.
Perfect analogy :D

I used my drum tool yesterday. I get sick of filling 20 Lt drums with petrol so I took my 44 (200 Lt) drum laid down and chained in my old Hilux to the nearest servo hoping to fill it without being turfed out.

Many servos don’t like one filling their 20 Lt drums unless placed on the ground to minimise static electricity sparks. They can switch off the pump if they spot you doing the wrong thing.

With my 200 Lt drums I have always carried and used an earth cable to connect the nozzle to the drum before starting. Gone are those days that I would take 3 x 44s standing up in the back of the Hilux. That was pretty obvious at the servo. OH&S has killed that for me despite my earthing procedure. Perhaps it is just not a good look to other customers :roll:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:17 am

Stop with the oversupply of pliers you fellus….. I have had a few deceased estates in my time and all the unwanted stuff comes my way….. :lol:
1929 Pop Top

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”