Seat removal for bed – part 1 & 2

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Seat removal for bed – part 1 & 2

Post by Old Techo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Of course when sleeping in a vehicle there must be some fresh air available to prevent heavy condensation from breathing. Leaving a window with a weather-shield part down would work but would not keep out the bugs.

I decided to use a rear window and make something that was a snug fit. Beginning with some 3 mm MDF I made a sandwich to contain some flywire and pop-riveted it. The brown projecting areas on top and the sides slide into the window Bailey channel and the window then wound up behind the bottom lip of the white area. A perfect seal.
seat7.jpg
To keep the rain out I added some ally flashing as a verandah.
seat6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Re: Seat removal for bed – part 1 & 2

Post by Old Techo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Looking at some old pics I realised I have not posted about my Prado bed conversion. I did this for our WA and Bungles trip in 2008.

Not being tent people I decided to sleep in the Prado. This is only possible by removing the second row of seats. Before beginning I had my insurance company confirm in writing that this would be OK.

So I removed said seats and built a wooden deck to replace them. The deck provided a flat sleeping area for my 6 foot long body and about 6 inches to spare.

The finished job….
seat0.jpg
The head end. The hinged panels are different lengths. Driver side does not require any seat adjustment but the other side requires the passenger seat to be fully forward. That is my side…
seat1.jpg
In bed mode the head is supported by a steel prop located in a hole drilled in the MDF. The prop has a welded washer to carry the load….
seat2.jpg
In travelling mode the hinged panels are raised and secured by steel stays that attach to the seat belt mounts…
seat3.jpg
The area up against the vertical panels was used to place a few cartons of wine…
seat4.jpg
Anything heavy was tied back to the Prado cargo links and also tied down to the timber cross-member through holes drilled in the floor ….
seat5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”