Poor man’s prescription sunnies

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Poor man’s prescription sunnies

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:04 am

For decades I have used only Polaroid or polarised sunglasses. Bright sunshine makes me sneeze and with most brands of sunnies they are not good enough in keeping light out from the sides. The only ones that do are sold by the Cancer Council. These are a proper wrap-around design with side panels :D

The issue that arises is when prescription glasses are needed for driving. Yes, you can get prescription sunnies – maybe even with polarised lenses. However I have not found any with a wrap-around to match the Cancer Council version but these are not available in prescription.

My solution was to attach my prescription distance glasses (with the arms removed) to my preferred sunnies. I have been using these combined glasses for several years.

Sure, it may look a bit agricultural but it works. The main combining structural member is a cable tie in the centre. A small blob of Blu Tak at each end completes the stability job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Re: Poor man’s prescription sunnies

Post by TramcarTrev » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:32 am

A novel solution to the problem….

OPSM will fit script lenses to Cancer Council frames provided the lens required is not such that it needs a special frame.
Specsavers will do likewise and supplied me with multifocal lenses for CC frames and the lenses are polarised…. Cost was $99 plus the CC sunnies to start…
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Have just got a pair of new glasses from OPSM OT and also got a pair of wrap around polarised sunnies with graduated lenses which keep out a lot more light than my previous pair. Think there has been minor breakthrough with this.
After having them now for a couple of weeks I would say that the sunnies for distance vision are not quite as good as my regular glasses and take a bit of getting used to but they are not bad.
The sunnies are expensive though….not much change out of $1000 for the pair….ouch !!
Cheers
Rob
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Archer63 wrote:The sunnies are expensive though….not much change out of $1000 for the pair….ouch !!
Wow :shock: :o

I got my script distance glasses from ‘glassesonline’ @ $49 :D
Regards, Old Techo

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:02 pm

2 x glasses with graduated lenses…yes..is expensive…better not loose them overboard on my boat :cry: :cry:
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:18 pm

So OT, how do you clean ’em ? boil ’em? :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:42 pm

dieseltojo wrote:So OT, how do you clean ’em ? boil ’em? :)
Probably has a spreadsheet to advise when to use one of those ultrasonic cleaners, or as they look like a plunder made them, perhaps a soak in draino :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:34 pm

OK you funny fellas :lol:

It is obvious that the exposed surfaces can be cleaned conventionally.

Between the lenses rarely gets dirty except for a bit of fluff or dust. I can blow this out with my mouth or use compressed air.

Occasionally I put the glasses under a running tap for a good squirt then dry the exposed surfaces with a tissue. Then I dry between the lenses by slipping the end of a tissue into the gap and pulling it out the other side and then a little back and forth tissue action to complete the drying.

It is also easy to snip off the cable tie and separate the glasses, but I’ve only done that once.
Regards, Old Techo

Murray & Anita
Avid poster

Post by Murray & Anita » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:19 am

I did a similar modification to that done by OT, when we went to Antarctica earlier this year.
I removed all but the central section from an old pair of frameless glasses and slid this under the nose piece on a pair of sunnies, so didn’t need the cable tie even – did the job and others couldn’t see the prescription lenses behind the sunnies.
[font=Georgia][i]Murray & Anita[/i][/font]

GeeCee
Avid poster

Post by GeeCee » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:53 am

Old Techo wrote:For decades I have used only Polaroid or polarised sunglasses. Bright sunshine makes me sneeze and with most brands of sunnies they are not good enough in keeping light out from the sides. The only ones that do are sold by the Cancer Council. These are a proper wrap-around design with side panels :D

The issue that arises is when prescription glasses are needed for driving. Yes, you can get prescription sunnies – maybe even with polarised lenses. However I have not found any with a wrap-around to match the Cancer Council version but these are not available in prescription.

My solution was to attach my prescription distance glasses (with the arms removed) to my preferred sunnies. I have been using these combined glasses for several years.

Sure, it may look a bit agricultural but it works. The main combining structural member is a cable tie in the centre. A small blob of Blu Tak at each end completes the stability job.

You are way too clever for this or any other forum OT!!!

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”