Different bottle sizes. Here is a trade secret

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
A’van
Rising star

Re: Different bottle sizes. Here is a trade secret

Post by A’van » Sat May 07, 2016 11:21 am

DT
You have done well, you got us all thinking and we can now be prepared for when the problem arises.
We may not do it exactly the way you have done it, but use whatever there’s handy even a piece of barb wire.
I haven’t had to change my 4 kg bottles yet, but now i know that I may have to do something when i do.

Thank’s DT.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Sat May 07, 2016 12:42 pm

A’van wrote:DT
You have done well, you got us all thinking and we can now be prepared for when the problem arises.
We may not do it exactly the way you have done it, but use whatever there’s handy even a piece of barb wire.
I haven’t had to change my 4 kg bottles yet, but now i know that I may have to do something when i do.

Thank’s DT.

Hans
Ahhhhh yes the old barbed wire trick…. That would scare the bottles so much they would start skaking with fear….
Another way to do this just came back into my mind, I saw a chap who had wrapped a ratchet tiedown over his bottles around the A frame as hid latch had snapped off….
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sun May 08, 2016 10:19 am

Looks good to me Tojo, the end with those bent bits at the top it would make it easy to manoeuvre.

That OH&S stuff, well that’s OT for you probably right but really!
Maybe if the top bits were smoothed and rounded off it would help.

My problem is the way we are being forced into the swap and go system. Admittedly it is quick and easy.

My galvanised 9Kg bottles cost me way past a $100.00 each and I just don’t fancy handing them in for a crappy swap and go bottle. Only two weeks ago I was at a barbeque and they had one of these swap and go bottles and we ran out of gas. I disconnected the bottle for the owner and found that the bottle would have been at least ¾ full (just by feel and the sloshing of the liquid gas) but no gas would come out. Shook and banged the thing but no gas and I could see the outlet valve opening, so much for safety inspections.

In the Newcastle area not even sure if there is a place you can take your bottle to get checked and restamped. Not sure how much it costs but I expect over $50.00 which is about how much a new 9Kg bottle is anyway.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun May 08, 2016 11:05 am

J.REEVES wrote:That OH&S stuff, well that’s OT for you probably right but really!
JR, you cannot responsibly dismiss my point about those shark’s teeth just waiting to grab the unwary ;-)

Make’s me nervous just looking at the pics and it is so easy to fix :o

That’s rather weird about the gas failure. Never struck that before with a dicky valve :shock:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun May 08, 2016 11:06 am

Hi JR, No problems,all good fun and the knowledge base grows, that’s the main thing. I am the first one to say I am just a 70 year old apprentice. :)
And you have put your finger on the reason why gas bottles have to get retested every 10 years. They are made so thin that rust might be a problem, and the fact is the valves do get damaged over time. Testing is Ok but if a bit of scale is floating about in the bottle it can dislodge at any time. Strange to get a blockage from within though as only vapor should ever come out the valve. But it happens; the pressure can bring a bit of scale up to the valve alright.

Years ago I took the valve out of a small bottle. We used to clip the small bottle to a belt and go around a house and solder the spouting joints. ( what the hell is solder? :) ) The first thing to go on a gas bottle is the valve.

I swear I had to put that bottle into a chain vice and used a pair of 3 foot stilsons to get it out.

Any way I went to the hardware store to get a new valve. Nope, you have to go to a certified mines department depot to get one and they have to fit it. $19-50. And it had to be fitted with “Stag” a red lead paste.

A new bottle was $20-00 or close to that cost.
Just as an aside I know folks make all sorts of barbies and hoofers from the 20 lb bottles. How did you blokes go getting the valves out? No one ever says much about it, but it was a helluva job in the above story I can tell you.
I reckon quite a few would just fill the thing with water and grind the valve off at the base.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun May 08, 2016 11:21 am

Probably not a problem to most but I made a cover for all the rocks on gravel roads.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sun May 08, 2016 11:56 am

Tojo,
Stag still have some in the garage but probably set hard as I have not checked and add some Metho for years, better go and do that now.

I would think they would use that liquid thread sealer in a tube these days.

Your gas bottle cover looks impressive and would defiantly protect the bottles but I believe it is better to have some kind of net to break the rock velocity so it will not come back at the tow vehicle.

JR

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Yep and the softer stone stomper things don’t reflect the rocks back to the car…… :)
1929 Pop Top

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Sun May 08, 2016 6:40 pm

J.REEVES wrote:I disconnected the bottle for the owner and found that the bottle would have been at least ¾ full (just by feel and the sloshing of the liquid gas) but no gas would come out. Shook and banged the thing but no gas and I could see the outlet valve opening, so much for safety inspections.

Indeed, so much for inspections…. Did you try unscrewing the vent to see if any gas escaped? then what do you do…. Dont try taking it back to the place of purchase without a docket either….
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Sun May 08, 2016 7:07 pm

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/find/gas- … region-nsw
J.REEVES wrote:
In the Newcastle area not even sure if there is a place you can take your bottle to get checked and restamped. Not sure how much it costs but I expect over $50.00 which is about how much a new 9Kg bottle is anyway.

JR
You are probably correct about the cost JR, but who doesanything for under 50 bucks these days?

However, if you have real good cylinders and some mariners have ally ones, the followingmay help.

Damn quote went to the top of the page. I need a new typist.

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”