Gas regs and bottle changing know how

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Gas regs and bottle changing know how

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Safe gas connections.
I thought I would expand on some of the Plumbing Gas Regulations for caravans and what makes them tick.
For a start; what’s required to do the work? Well, in Australia there are two registered trades. They are Electricians’, and Plumbers. This is mainly due to the industries being involved with public health and public safety.
It seems ok to poison the public with some of the dirty restaurants etc, but that’s another matter entirely. These places are under health acts in a different category…..
So if you want anything other than basic work done, it’s best to get a licensed trades man. The strange thing is there are various strains of engineers that although very skilled in many things and may even control plumbers, they cannot actually do the work unless they get registered as plumbers. It may be that the regulators require a constant employment in the field, or another reason.
My comment on the opening pic are very relevant as all plumbers may not do gas work. I would be wary of the small town plumbers if you get into an emergency situation….just having a go, but without passing the applicable ticketed items there are a lot of handy men out there. It’s not that most blokes can’t do the job so much as guarantee compliance. If beggars can’t be choosers though, and you are worried about something, get it checked out later.
But I also hate the fearmongering of some, that you can’t do this or that either. Some folk are so incitefull that they immediately take over a post with so much dire consequences that the reader thinks that even changing a bottle over is best left to a plumber. I do not want my language to be framed in any way to put people down, and folk are free to do anything that they like if they know the consequences of their actions.
I am not going to cuss out any one as there are times when even the simplest jobs done by the unwary, can cause big problems. You only have to read about home explosions of gas bottles and fires due to barby connections to know that.
The pic is in example registration card, and what is ticked is what that plumber is allowed to do. When I did a 5 year apprenticeship we covered most things and I had to go back to school to get a gas ticket when the Gas & Fuel Corporations were dismantled, probably due to natural gas coming in and privatisation of same. Retired now but I can renew my full contractors ticket with the payment of the necessary insurance fees around $2000-00.
I have been self employed for 47 years with a private business, and have also worked in management and advisory roles for large companies during that time.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Gas regs and bottle changing know how

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:19 pm

This is a relevant regulation to caravan gas connections, and though the book is dated, the basics apply. The period between reprints can be many years.
Though the regs can also apply to home installations, they haven’t seen fit to supply illustrations to suite caravans. So we have to take it as gospel and extrapolate what fits the bill.
I have attempted to clarify some thing as I go.
I have use jpegs as any one can usually handle that format.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:21 pm

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:22 pm

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:23 pm

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:24 pm

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:27 pm

I have kept things simple in their own post so that it is easy to down load section for those interested.
I will expand on the gas bottle and safe changing etc as I can.

1929 Pop Top

Bundyrumandcoke
An old hand

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Surely the location of a caravan cylinder would come under clause 6.2.2.5, as mentioned under section J2 in your 3rd post.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:44 pm

dieseltojo wrote:DT, your bit about safety valve discharge isn’t true. They can be placed such that they will not discharge towards the van or each other. See my pic after yours…

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Surely the location of a caravan cylinder would come under clause 6.2.2.5, as mentioned under section J2 in your 3rd post.

Give me a chance to develop this thing,you can all cut me up later…. :lol:
I am only a plumber so not too bright.

OT that’s about as good as it gets.
1929 Pop Top

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”